Default Font Folder Location Change

Reaction score
I have literally dug around for hours looking for a solution to this issue and I'm wondering if someone can help me figure it out.

The Problem:
I work on two different computers from time to timeand I need access to my fonts on both machines seamlessly.

Question:
Does anyone know of a way to move where your computer locates fonts? For example, can I move the "...system>library>fonts" folder to Dropbox or something similar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Oh no. You never never never ever mess with /System. Never! Unless you want to render your system unbootable. Don't even put 3rd party fonts there. The proper place for 3rd party fonts is /Library/Fonts (if you want them accessible to all users on the computer) or in yourhomefolder/Library/Fonts (for just yourself).

As for syncing between multiple computers, what may be the best thing to do is make a symbolic link to your Fonts folder and put that symlink in your DropBox folder. Do the same on each computer. That should keep them all in sync.

As for how to make a symlink, the easiest way is to grab a freebie called SymbolicLinker. Follow the included install instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
F
Reaction score
Great solutions - thanks!

@louishen I installed linotype and asked it to move my font files to a new folder on Dropbox. When I open a finder and look in the new folder on Dropbox, it's empty. Are the actual fonts supposed to be in there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you go the route using my symlink suggestion, a couple potential problems came to mind after I posted. Firstly…. make sure Dropbox is disabled temporarily on both Macs before adding the symlinks to the Dropbox folder. If you don't, the files will get synced from the proper /Library/Fonts folder on the first Mac to a new Fonts folder (not symlink) in the Dropbox folder on the second Mac.

Secondly… if you decide to stop syncing the Fonts, disable Dropbox on both Macs before deleting the symlinks. If you don't, the fonts from one Mac will get wiped out when you delete the symlink on the other.

My idea will (well "should") work, but obviously not without risks and a little up front management. Keep proper backups available at all times and you should be fine. Of course louishen's idea may be a better one too. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems pretty sound. In response to your question to him, I would think that the fonts should go into the folder in Dropbox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.