Which Windows version?

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought an imac:

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5

I would like to run windows on it so that I can run Multimedia Fusion 2 on it.

Which Windows 7 Home Premium do I need? 64bit or 32bit? I'm planning on using Bootcamp.

Thank you very much,
Juli

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchase Windows Home Premium direct from Microsoft, the package contains the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on two DVDs. I recommend installing the 64 bit version of Windows 7 as that will allow you to use all available memory installed in your iMac. The 32 bit version of Windows 7 will limit you to using only 3.6 GB of your installed memory.

And a reminder... please read and print out the Boot Camp Assistant instructions prior to starting the installation process. And since your iMac is new, you will have to download a driver image disk from Apple in order to complete the installation of Windows 7. That is an important step that is often overlooked. Without those drivers from Apple, Windows 7 will not work right.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.
I will be ordering from Amazon Japan...as that is where I live. I can buy 64bit, 32bit or both in the same box
My children will be using this computer for simple game design courses and school. Will I ever need to uninstall the 64bit for the 32bit? If not, is it okay to buy just the 64bit version?

Juli

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Purchase the 64 bit version as it will also run any 32 bit Windows application. You should never need to uninstall the 64 bit version once it's installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.