Is there a way to use wired peripherals wirelessly?

Reaction score
I'm going home for the summer, and I want to take my Mac Mini with me because it's my primary gaming machine. I have a '08 15" Unibody MBP but it doesn't really handle my games well anymore, so I'd like to use my better machine.

My problem is that the TV that I'd be using as my monitor is quite far from where I'd be sitting. Is there any way to wirelessly use the wired peripherals I normally use (ie: keyboard and mouse).

I've looked into some wireless USB hubs, but I don't really feel like dropping that kind of money for something this trivial. I just want to know if there's a way I can do it cheaply, or for free.

I've looked around and thought maybe connecting to my Airport Express for internet and then plugging a USB hub into the AE and THEN plugging my keyboard and mouse into that would work, but I've come to the conclusion that it won't.

Is there any way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
Can you not use an extended monitor lead and keep everything else as it is plugged into the mini ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I'm going home for the summer, and I want to take my Mac Mini with me because it's my primary gaming machine. I have a '08 15" Unibody MBP but it doesn't really handle my games well anymore, so I'd like to use my better machine.

My problem is that the TV that I'd be using as my monitor is quite far from where I'd be sitting. Is there any way to wirelessly use the wired peripherals I normally use (ie: keyboard and mouse).

I've looked into some wireless USB hubs, but I don't really feel like dropping that kind of money for something this trivial. I just want to know if there's a way I can do it cheaply, or for free.

I've looked around and thought maybe connecting to my Airport Express for internet and then plugging a USB hub into the AE and THEN plugging my keyboard and mouse into that would work, but I've come to the conclusion that it won't.

Is there any way to do this?

The USB connection on the AE is for printer only.

OP
D
Reaction score
The USB connection on the AE is for printer only.

Yeah, that's why I said after explaining my theory that it wouldn't work, but thanks for the confirmation.

Main reason I don't want to use a monitor lead (or basically, a really long HDMI cable) is I don't want to have cables all over the place. I'd rather have two bunches separate cables, rather than one long cable tracking across the room.

At the same time, I wanted to place the Mini near the TV, and the cable for my keyboard isn't long enough to reach the Mini - even if I use my own USB hub, it's still way to short.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Yeah, that's why I said after explaining my theory that it wouldn't work, but thanks for the confirmation.

Main reason I don't want to use a monitor lead (or basically, a really long HDMI cable) is I don't want to have cables all over the place. I'd rather have two bunches separate cables, rather than one long cable tracking across the room.

At the same time, I wanted to place the Mini near the TV, and the cable for my keyboard isn't long enough to reach the Mini - even if I use my own USB hub, it's still way to short.

Put the monitor cable in some adhesive mini-trunking stuck to your skirting boards or upgrade to wireless peripherals..bluetooth is good for 10m.

HDMi is good for about 8m or so but then you don't have to go with HDMI because you should have an adapter with your Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.