Buying new logic board

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been having this issues, my screen freezes and goes black, and it keeps happening very frequently now.

I've been reading and the only sure (good) solution so far is to replace the logic board. The thing is that I do not know a good site to buy the logic board.

I was wondering if any of you guys have bought one and where did you buy it?? And how to select the correct one??

I have MBP 15'' Unibody (Mid 2010) with the below graphics card

=======================
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
=======================

Any other suggestions??

PS: Found this guide and will be using it: ifixit

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why not take it to a Genius Bar or reseller and ask what the problem is and how much to fix it and then from there.

OP
J
Reaction score
I bought my Mac online and the nearest genius is at 3hrs from here...

Any other suggestion? Now I cannot even access the OS. As soon as it boots, and the OS loads, the screen goes black and at the top a colorful line. When I access my Windows partition, the screen goes black too

Any good site to buy them?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any other suggestion? Now I cannot even access the OS. As soon as it boots, and the OS loads, the screen goes black and at the top a colorful line. When I access my Windows partition, the screen goes black too

You certainly don't want to spend the BIG BUCKS for a replacement logic board if you don't need one...so you want to do as much troubleshooting as possible to eliminate any other possibilities.

Two things to try:

- Attach an external monitor to your MacBook Pro...and see what happens.
- Boot your computer with an OS install disk.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I doubt it was gonna work since this failure is related to bad video card/ logic board, but I'll try....

When the computer boots, I can press the Ctrl key to select which partition to boot from (windows/osx/ recovery ).

When select either windows or osx, the screen goes black, but if I select the recovery partition, it boots fine, so I have access to terminal to copy files to usb (at least).

Another question, when the OS boots, which graphics card it selects, integrated Intel or nvidia graphics?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I doubt it was gonna work since this failure is related to bad video card/ logic board, but I'll try....

If you're 100% convinced of this...then yes...you would need a new/good used logic board.

You can try e-Bay...or go to Powerbookmedic.com

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When select either windows or osx, the screen goes black, but if I select the recovery partition, it boots fine, so I have access to terminal to copy files to usb (at least).

If you can boot to the Recovery Partition, the logic board and graphics processor are probably working OK. And I doubt a 2010 MBP logic board has already gone south although that is not impossible.

The symptoms you describe could also be related to a bad hard drive. Which is a lot less expensive than replacing a logic board.

You never said whether or not you ran the Apple Hardware Test on the machine? If you haven't done that, I suggest give it a try to see what it says.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.