Question About The Java Update Today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I am running Lion 10.7.4 on my mid-2011 iMac. I had Google Chrome open, and I was notified of a software update. The update said that you could continue your work while installing it. I quickly clicked on "Details" and just looked what the update was. It was a Java update and one other. So, I installed it while Chrome was open.

I then went to my other iMac (a mid or late 2010), where nothing was open, saw the update, and again clicked on "Details." Then I saw that it said that you should close your browser during Java installation.

I then checked both browsers on my mid 2011 iMac, Chrome and Safari, and Java is working on both. Just to ease my mind, does that mean that it installed fine, even though I had Chrome open during installation? The update said that you could continue your work during installation, so that is why I left Chrome open. Thanks.

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Follow up......I was having a problem with Chrome when I went to pingtest.net (it would work only once in a while), a Java based site. So I trashed Chrome and reinstalled it, and pingtest.net seems to work now (I only tried it twice, but it worked both times).

EDIT: Well, pingtest.net still loads sometimes with Chrome, and sometimes not. However, when I go to Java's test page, it says that Java ia working. I believe that happened before to me on this machine with pingtest.net.

EDIT 2: It turns out that the page pingtest.net loads with Flash. Java is only used to check for packet loss while running the pingtest. So, it seems that there is just a conflict with Chrome's Flash at times when going to pingtest.net.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.