• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS 6 Maps turn-by-turn requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later

Reaction score
iOS 6 Maps turn-by-turn requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later

When Apple launches iOS 6 this fall, iPhone 4 users won't be able to use turn-by-turn directions or Flyover in the new Maps application, as that functionality is limited to the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and third-generation iPad.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Amazing. One of my favorite phones from way back when, the HTC Tilt, on ATT, was able to utilize turn by turn navigation *WITH voice* on Google maps, and yet an iPhone 4 can't do this? Really? Yeeeeeah, ok.

Edit: I actually loved that Tilt. it was the original back from 2007. It was a work horse and lasted a long time and was very durable. And even though it ran Win Mobile, it was very intuitive/user friendly.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/at-t-tilt/4505-6452_7-32638455.html

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I had a version of the Motorola RAZR that had the capability as well. Sad that my "4" can't handle it. Ah well. I'm getting sick of smartphones anyhow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Looking at the specs the '4' seems to be pretty much the bridesmaid.

What's betting the Tom Tom will be a subscription app and 'Find my Friends' will be abused by employers and stalkers the world over.

Reaction score
It's obvious apple is just doing this so that people are forced into buying the newer phones. I hate that they do this but hey that's why jailbreaking still exists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's obvious apple is just doing this so that people are forced into buying the newer phones. I hate that they do this but hey that's why jailbreaking still exists.

Apple isn't isn't forcing anyone to buy anything if they choose not to. It's not as if you will be fined as you would you chose not to buy health insurance, for example. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Meh they should have had this a long time ago for the iPhone. I use Waze it's basically the same thing but without the 3D maps.

Reaction score
Apple isn't isn't forcing anyone to buy anything if they choose not to. It's not as if you will be fined as you would you chose not to buy health insurance, for example. ;)

hahaha well fine their not forcing you but their making it clear that they would prefer you buy their newer products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
hahaha well fine their not forcing you but their making it clear that they would prefer you buy their newer products.

Yeah, I mean what are they thinking. Buying their new product? You'd think they were in business to make money or something.

image089.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You know what I have a problem with? Apple saying their device can't handle something, but the JB community turning around and proving them wrong. I actually can't wait to upgrade the 4 and 4S to compare their speed and functionality, because it seems like Apple thinks the 4 is already crippled. I can understand the 3gs, but the 4? Even tech wizards are scratching their heads with this one.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You know excluding the iPhone 3G/3GS generation from all the iOS 6 functionality is one thing, but it's just strange that they would exclude iPhone 4 from this. I understand the marketing/business reasons, but technically they should both be able to handle the vast majority of these tasks..oh well..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You know what I have a problem with? Apple saying their device can't handle something, but the JB community turning around and proving them wrong. I actually can't wait to upgrade the 4 and 4S to compare their speed and functionality, because it seems like Apple thinks the 4 is already crippled. I can understand the 3gs, but the 4? Even tech wizards are scratching their heads with this one.

That's my problem as well. It's one thing if you're straight-up about it, but making the claim that it's not technically possible is just disingenuous. Funny that my Garmin app has no trouble doing turn-by-turn navigation on my iPhone 4 (obviously not flyover, but that's eye candy for the most part).

My wife has a 4S and aside from it being much more of a battery hog than my 4, I would say the performance differences are pretty much indiscernible. Let's be honest with ourselves and take off the fanboy caps... the 4S was a weak update of the iPhone 4. It's a stopgap product. Apple knows this, which is why they're trying to disambiguate the models via arbitrary software limitations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Waze
Mapquest

Both really great apps that do turn by turn with voice navigation and work brilliantly on the iPhone 4. They both also boast unique functionality that I have not seen on iOS 6's Maps, and actually doubt will ever be seen on it. That said, I know that I have moaned about not being able to get the new Maps app on my iPhone 4, but it's only because I don't like the strategy being used.

Anyway, I had a whole rant typed out, but decided to get rid of it. Waze. Mapquest. Good stuff. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Doug

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Anyway, I had a whole rant typed out, but decided to get rid of it. Waze. Mapquest. Good stuff. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Doug
I feel cheated, I want to read the rant..:p

But I agree with you and cwa107, the 4S might have a tweaked processor and perhaps there are a couple of apps that might NEED that to operate properly, but apart from that I can't think of anything else that should disallow the iPhone 4 from handling the latest maps application or Siri for example..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel cheated, I want to read the rant..:p

But I agree with you and cwa107, the 4S might have a tweaked processor and perhaps there are a couple of apps that might NEED that to operate properly, but apart from that I can't think of anything else that should disallow the iPhone 4 from handling the latest maps application or Siri for example..

Ha! Sorry bud, I'm trying to keep my nose clean and to set an example as MOTM ya know! lol It wasn't a nasty rant or anything, I guess that lately I've been doing this with everything. I'm analyzing what I'm saying in my head before letting it out, because most of the time it's not even worth saying, as it keeps things running in circles. Guess I'm trying to be more wise in my older age?

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.