• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Says New Models, Designs for iMac, Mac Pro In Works, Due in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.9.1 - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB ram
This really irks me. I was going to upgrade my iMac that I bought in 07(which works flawlessly). I can't upgrade my current iMac to Lion because of RAM limitations, so at the end of June when mobile me expires, I won't be able upgrade to iCloud or purchase the latest iMac. I wish Apple had thought about this an planned a new iMac release prior to dropping mobile me. I'm thinking that there must be a lot of people with the same issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's wrong with buying the latest iMac? You've owned yours since 2007, surely the Mid 2011 iMacs would be a significant improvement and upgrade over what you have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Why not just get the current iMac it's still an exceptionally capable machine?

But that aside Lions specs state 2gb required when your Mac can take a maximum of 3gb

So you could just upgrade the RAM and install Lion....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After purchasing my current iMac at the end of a cycle, I would rather try to get something at the beginning of a cycle so I don't end up in my current situation. Once again, this iMac is great. The fact that Apple is forcing me to upgrade my software & not provide new hardware seems like poor planning. I have the 3Gb ram installed because someone at the Apple store told me to go ahead & do that to upgrade to Lion. The next time I was at the store another person(who was more knowledgeable) than the first person I talked to said not to do it because Lion really uses closer to 3Gb of ram & to undo the upgrade if there were problems was not as simple as past OSX upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Clearly the choice is yours. I don't believe anything is being forced upon you. The current iMacs are still very capable. Sure, you could wait til next year. But then there's always that other killer reason to hold of for the next thing just over the brow of the hill......

My iMac is running Lion, albeit newer than yours, currently has iTunes restoring an iPhone 4, Safari open with 4 tabs active, Time Machine backing up and the spotify desktop app playing music. Activity manager is showing 2.08gb ram active.
I have a White 2.16ghz MacBook showing similar ram usage. Obviously I don't know about your usage. Clearly some activities use more ram than others.

You can always use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your Mac. Install Lion. If it's not a great experience you can use CCC to put it back exactly as it was. Or you can wait for next years iMacs or get a current one or none of the above.

The choice is obviously yours but for the entry price into Lion and a little of your time isn't it worth a go?

OP
Adric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
It seems they've updated the article. Cook confirmed a big Mac Pro refresh in 2013 but said nothing about the iMac.

This could mean that the iMac could come sooner. Take it for what it's worth.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This really irks me. I was going to upgrade my iMac that I bought in 07(which works flawlessly). I can't upgrade my current iMac to Lion because of RAM limitations, so at the end of June when mobile me expires, I won't be able upgrade to iCloud or purchase the latest iMac. I wish Apple had thought about this an planned a new iMac release prior to dropping mobile me. I'm thinking that there must be a lot of people with the same issue.

A 2007 iMac will take 4GB ram and run Lion quite well. Am typing on one now. Actually if it's a late 2007 iMac it will go to 6GB RAM with a Ram Kit from OWC.

What are the exact specs of your iMac please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Adric, I saw that & it brings a little hope. I'll have to stay tuned.

@mrplow... I disagree about not being forced. The last iMac has been out since May of 2011. They are ending a service that forces me to purchase hardware that was released over a year ago. So the next time I need to upgrade I know I will have lost over a years time on the longevity of my next Apple purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Don't worry about Mobile me. It's dead in the water and nothing you were doing with it will carry over in the same exact way. So it's pretty much crying over spilt milk at this point. If I was in your position, I'd move on over to iCloud. There's really no reason to stick with the former at this point as far as I know. And of course, if you have any photos stored on iDisk or otherwise, get that stuff off and backed up.

Doug

Yog

Reaction score
I can now sense that there is a long wait for me then. I would patiently wait for the newer MacPro. I just can't buy next gen MBP 15" regardless as I am currently using 17" and 15" will be a bit compromise, unless Apple releases 17"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4
Serial Number (system): W865051PVUV
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2CA8868

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry about Mobile me. It's dead in the water and nothing you were doing with it will carry over in the same exact way. So it's pretty much crying over spilt milk at this point. If I was in your position, I'd move on over to iCloud. There's really no reason to stick with the former at this point as far as I know. And of course, if you have any photos stored on iDisk or otherwise, get that stuff off and backed up.

Doug

I have an iPad & iPhone that will work with iCloud, but if I can't sync the iMac with those devices, it's going to be a headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 imac 21" 16gb ram, Ipad 3, Iphone 4s & Apple Tv 2
What to do, no new iMac

HI Guys,

I'm a relatively new OS X user (2010) and this will be my first post.

The main reason I joined the forum was to get users advise on the situation I'm in.

Currently I have a Late 2009 iMac bought in about April 2010. My intention prior to WWDC was to sell this iMac so I could upgrade to the latest when its came out (presuming shortly after WWDC).

The reason I wanted to upgrade is I'm the 3.06ghz processor is tending to lag up a little when streaming video to my Apple Tv using Video Stream.

Also, not having an abundance of $$ was also a major factor in selling this 2009 iMac before being to left behind and the resale value dropping too much.

Now that there has been no announcement of a new iMac, I have no idea what to do... Its already on eBay I'm not sure if to cancel or let it go & upgrade to the only slightly better 2011 model range, or what to do.

Any advice would be great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Adric, I saw that & it brings a little hope. I'll have to stay tuned.

@mrplow... I disagree about not being forced. The last iMac has been out since May of 2011. They are ending a service that forces me to purchase hardware that was released over a year ago. So the next time I need to upgrade I know I will have lost over a years time on the longevity of my next Apple purchase.

Fair enough. But the only one 'forcing' you is you. Your so concerned with not getting an extra year out of hardware you haven't bought yet but you're happy to discarded existing hardware that you state 'works flawlessly' when you could keep it for a year until 'maybe' new iMacs come out....assuming they are deprecated completely!

You have choices and options. Ending the service does not force you to buy new hardware. Particularly when your existing hardware WILL WORK with the replacement service. The drive here is all yours. You want the latest hardware...... that's fine. Why not get a new new MBP and a screen instead on an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HI Guys,

I'm a relatively new OS X user (2010) and this will be my first post.

The main reason I joined the forum was to get users advise on the situation I'm in.

Currently I have a Late 2009 iMac bought in about April 2010. My intention prior to WWDC was to sell this iMac so I could upgrade to the latest when its came out (presuming shortly after WWDC).

The reason I wanted to upgrade is I'm the 3.06ghz processor is tending to lag up a little when streaming video to my Apple Tv using Video Stream.

Also, not having an abundance of $$ was also a major factor in selling this 2009 iMac before being to left behind and the resale value dropping too much.

Now that there has been no announcement of a new iMac, I have no idea what to do... Its already on eBay I'm not sure if to cancel or let it go & upgrade to the only slightly better 2011 model range, or what to do.

Any advice would be great!

Personally, if the current iMac will do what you want (and let's be honest it's a very well specced all-in-one and any of the current range will be significantly faster than your current machine) then go through with sale and get the new one. You can always repeated the exercise next year IF there's a new iMac and IF it has a killer feature you can't live without.

If however, the Mac you have will be OK for you for another 12 months then hang on to it.

Like any upgrade you should only consider it if what you have no longer performs the tasks required of it. That seems to be the case for you but only you can decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 imac 21" 16gb ram, Ipad 3, Iphone 4s & Apple Tv 2
Personally, if the current iMac will do what you want (and let's be honest it's a very well specced all-in-one and any of the current range will be significantly faster than your current machine) then go through with sale and get the new one. You can always repeated the exercise next year IF there's a new iMac and IF it has a killer feature you can't live without.

If however, the Mac you have will be OK for you for another 12 months then hang on to it.

Like any upgrade you should only consider it if what you have no longer performs the tasks required of it. That seems to be the case for you but only you can decide.

thanks Mrplow, considering the specs of the 2009 iMac - upgraded to 12gb ram - in your opinion, is there a better apple product currently out that would be a good transition product until the next iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That all depends on what you want. It's not just about RAM (that's an easy home upgrade on the iMac as you know).

Every model in the current range has faster architecture and processors than your current model. So it comes down to the size of screen you want and your budget really.

If budget allows and you don't want a 27" screen the 21.5" i5 with a 1tb drive is a good, solid 'stop-gap' machine. When I made the iMac leap I went to the 27" and i7 CPU to ensure it would give me the longest lifespan it could. But a mid-range machine will more than perform for you in the interim.
This is all assuming there will be new iMacs . . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough. But the only one 'forcing' you is you. Your so concerned with not getting an extra year out of hardware you haven't bought yet but you're happy to discarded existing hardware that you state 'works flawlessly' when you could keep it for a year until 'maybe' new iMacs come out....assuming they are deprecated completely!

You have choices and options. Ending the service does not force you to buy new hardware. Particularly when your existing hardware WILL WORK with the replacement service. The drive here is all yours. You want the latest hardware...... that's fine. Why not get a new new MBP and a screen instead on an iMac?

A MBP??? Really?
Here's 23 pages consisting mostly of ****** off MBP users.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384137

"Ending the service does not force you to buy new hardware."

Once again it does force me when only 2 out 3 of my devices can be synced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A 2007 iMac will take 4GB ram and run Lion quite well. Am typing on one now. Actually if it's a late 2007 iMac it will go to 6GB RAM with a Ram Kit from OWC.

What are the exact specs of your iMac please?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4
Serial Number (system): W865051PVUV
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2CA8868

I see the 6Gb ram you mentioned earlier @OWC. When I upgraded to 3Gb, I read about the 4Gb upgrade doing some funny things, so I avoided it. That upgrade I did through Crucial, but I will check with OWC today to see what they say. I think one possible problem is that it's an early 07' iMac. I purchased it in January 2007.
Thanks for the OWC info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.