Basic photo editing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5
Hi I have recently picked up a Nikon d3100 and as starting to get into photography I find sometimes that some of my photoes are just a little under perfect they might to be made a little lighter of darker or something like that so far iPhoto has served me well but I want something a little more serious but just as simple I have seen the macadverts but I am not sure what software they use in the ad. I don't mind paying for one but if any body has any suggestions please let me know which are best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Give Seashore a go, its pretty simple and fast

Other than that PIxelmator doesn't cost much and is becoming a pretty darn good photo editor

C

chas_m

Pixelmator on half-price sale right now!

But I might also suggest you look at iPhoto more closely. There's a lot more power there than people realise. Having said that, if you're working with a lot of RAW files you might want to step up to Aperture or Lightroom.

Reaction score
Photoshop Elements would be your best choice. It already has the basic features of Photoshop. I know Photoshop is a little too expensive for simple needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Reaction score
Hi There,

Because you are using a Nikon, there is a free Nikon software option,
It is called View NX2,

What can it do,
Browser,
Edit exposure,
Crop,
Adjust sharpness
and many others,

The big advantage here is that you can shoot raw images and adjust almost anything after the capture in post processing

it is available for Mac and PC

If you want a jpeg image for email or posting on the net, its only about 2 clicks and you also retain the original image

Lastly,
For a more powerful program you can purchase Capture NX2,
Once the images have been captured and uploaded to your, (nearly said PC!), ;)
You can even adjust the camera settings which is read by Capture NX2

Send me a pm if you cannot find the download, not sure about policy posting links here?
Regards,
Gary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Send me a pm if you cannot find the download, not sure about policy posting links here?

You can post the link. There is no problem with posting links to legal downloads of software provided by device manufacturers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I used to use Photoshop, until I looked at the price to upgrade this last time... I was going to have to pay full price due to some extraneous issues... Long story.

I now use a combination of Aperture (Apple, Mac App Store - $70) and have set up Pixelmator (Mac App Store - $20 or so) as the 3rd party editor within Aperture. I havent looked back. I have been extremely happy with Aperture for management and quick edits for the main photo touch-ups. I use Pixelmator for everything else, and it works like a charm.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for the very nice Pixelmator. I use it as an editor for iPhoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.