Major Powerbook 17" problem. Please help!

L

lankie_25

Well after being a good few months out of warranty my 17" 1.5 ghz powerbook has decided to act up. I noticed a few days ago that every application would run extremely slow, that is, if it wanted to fun at all. Anything I clicked on would receive the beach ball of doom and would remain that way. Even the force quiting process took forever, if I could force quit at all. Really it just came down to me having to hold down the power button to reboot.

Now the darn thing wont even boot up. When the screen comes to be grey with the apple in the center, the dark spinning circle thing comes on and just keeps spinning and doesn't do anything else. I've let it go for a good hour and nothing has changed. I ran disk utility to repair the HD. Still nothing. Then I decided to run the hardware test and this error came up when testing the logic board.

Error Code 2ISS/1/5: 0x40

I don't know what to do. I've never had anything like this happen to me. I've read plenty of forums now about Apple and bad logic boards. And also Apple products having problems just in time for warranty to expire (like my 1st gen ipod that's hard drive crashed just after warranty expired). After all the money they are bloodsucking out of me to even own this computer. Now I cant even afford to get it operating again if I do have to replace something. I just feel really low right now so If anyone can give me some sorta advice I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No advice really, your logic board is shot

OP
T

thoughtCoat

Are the logic boards a problem like this on all powerbook models? This doesn't sound nice, and I have indeed seen talk of logic board failure but thought it was mostly limited to iBooks. As someone who is planning on investing in a 12" powerbook I would be interested to hear from others about long-term reliability of powerbook hardware.

lankie25 I am sorry to hear your powerbook died. That really sucks. Have you tried re-installing OS X ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 15" is coming up on 3 years without a hitch.
My cousin has an iBook thats almost 2 years old without a problem

The reason you read about the problems a lot is because when people have problems, they come to talk about it on the internet, a vast majority of the people who don't have problems, don't come to internet forums and say they have no problems

OP
L

lankie_25

Well holy crap. Reinstalling OS X seems to have done the trick.

ThoughtCoat powerbooks are very good I guess I just had some kind of freak accident that will probably never happen to you. Oh yea Cloud rules haha. Not to go off subject of anything but I downloaded a game save that let me have my party consist of all Clouds! It was fun doing 3 omnislashes in a row lol.

OP
L

lankie_25

Ok nevermind there is still a problem somewhere. Everything loaded up fine when I started over. Got my internet, ichat, and icq up and everything. Then I decided to run all the software updates so i did them all including the 10.3.9 complete update. Then after that none of the applications like safari or itunes or ichat worked.... I'd click them and they'd bounce then they'd stop and thats it. I clicked on them with ctrl and it said app not responding so I could force quit them even though nothing came up...

but these apps worked before i did any of the updating so I'm really confused... oh and it also appears that my speakers no longer are an option for sound output.. the only thing that shows up is headphones... what the heck is going on with my stupid computer?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.macintouch.com/panreader55.html

"Notably, Apple Hardware Test reported the following error code: 2ISS/1/5:0x42(5), which apparently relates to the sound chip or module on the logic board.

I noticed that after many reboots, the system.log contained many entries beginning with these two lines
IOPMon::actionPower1 - sending CPU aggressiveness 3 [the last number varied between 2 and 3]
AppleFWOHCI::handleSelfIDInt - received quads == 0. issuing bus reset
followed by a gazillion repetitions of the following error report:

localhost kernel: Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2687 goto Exit
localhost kernel: _Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2998 goto AttemptToRetry

and finally terminating with

localhost kernel: _Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2769 goto Exit
localhost kernel: _PB5_1_PlatformMonitor::setAggressiveness - newLevel 0

[note different line numbers, e.g. 2687, 2998, and 2769]
Going back in the log, I note that a very similar, but nonrepeating error (and with yet another line number, e.g. 960) was recorded after each reboot for more than a month, viz:

localhost kernel: IOPMon::actionPower1 - sending CPU aggressiveness 3
localhost kernel: AppleFWOHCI::handleSelfIDInt - received quads == 0. issuing bus reset
localhost kernel: Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 960 goto Exit
Feb 8 23:30:07 localhost kernel: _ADB present:8c

In any event, I shut the machine down overnight and when I rebooted in the morning, sound was back! Apple Hardware Test now detects no errors, and the system.log records no more AppleLegacyAudio problems.
Furthermore, I haven’t had a recurrence of the waking-from-sleep problem (touch wood). Don’t know which of the fixes I tried cured the problem (my hunch is that zapping the PMU and trashing the com.apple.Components.LocalCache.AudioComponents file were probably the critical ones). SoundSource is supposed to be compatible with 10.3.8, and I haven’t seen any discussions of any such problem on the developer’s (Rogue Amoeba Software ) website user discussion groups. In any event, thought I would post this in case it’s helpful to others who might have had the same problem(s)."

http://redmonk.net/archives/2004/07/26/powerbook-g4-sound-issue/

OP
L

lankie_25

Ugh so I just went through all the hassle of getting my garageband back and hooked all my guitar stuff up like i normally do. And go figure the computer is not seeing any signal whatsoever. I selected the line in port and even turned up the input volume a little. Nothing is muted on garageband, my guitar volume is all the way up.... there is nothing else left to explain..

it took forever for garageband to boot up then i finally got a error message that basically just said -36 .. whatever that means.. I take it as my computer is telling me "I'm screwing you once again haha"

So i guess that logic board error code i got effects more than just my speakers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.