Getting to know OSX

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an early 2009 MacPro Tower with dual-quad processors and a QuadroFX-4800 GPU. I'm a PC to Mac convert, so this machine was built to the PC workstation specs I previously owned. I had hoped this would be an improvement, but so far it's not panning out that way.

I'm frustrated since I'm not getting the same performance I once had with my old PC--which was much older tech and dated software. I also thought I'd get some support from Apple since the entire purchase was through their website. However, once they hear I have the Quadro (purchased through Apple) they refuse to help.

The strangest behavior is relying on my dual monitors. I have a Cinema Display and a Cintiq stacked vertically with the Cintiq on the bottom and the Cinema Display as the primary display on top. Here's a few problems I'm running into:

--When making changes in Photoshop, the Cintiq (lower display) doesn't update until I save the document or shift the document (forcing a refresh is my guess).
--When rendering OpenGL in After Effects or Premiere, the quality of the render is noticeably worse. It looks like it's been compressed for the web, circa 1999 :\
--Open Spaces doesn't show the programs where they reside and will even move open software into a new Space. I must physically drag the window/workspaces to the proper area before selecting the Space I want to go to.
--Open Spaces keyboard shortcuts usually won't respond.

There's more, but this list lays out the basic problems I'm enduring. Many thanks to you for reading through all this and I hope that a reasonable solution can be offered.
~Chaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What OS is it running, how much ram and spare disk space do you have, and do you ever do any maintenance on the OS

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Loiushen,
I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I haven't a clue how to maintain my mac. What kind of maintenance should I do?
~Chaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Onyx is a good free maintenance app

Otherwise I often install a combo update on macs that need a bit of a refresh, even if the OS is up to date

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try it out. BTW, How do I uninstall the GPU drivers? I'd love to nix them altogether and reinstall them fresh.
~Chaz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.