Transferring/Sharing large files between two Macs

Reaction score
This question has been asked before, but I've yet to find an answer that is either still relevant or actually works.

I am trying to find the best, fastest and easiest way to share files from two Macs. They are large files, usually LightRoom catalogs including the images themselves, ranging from 8GB to 60GB. My wife and I work from two computers, an iMac and a MacBook Pro. We work together on shoots and need to be able keep consistant metadata throughout the process. Rather than dumping the files onto a hard drive, then plugging the same hard drive into the other machine and then transferring them, what other options do I have? Would it be possible to be able to use both Macs at the same time accessing the files? I store everything on an external hard drive that is plugged in via FireWire800.

Any help is much appreciated!

Reaction score
why couldn't you just enable sharing on the external drive then both macs can see and use drive.
sys preferences-sharing-filesharing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.