Verizon Rolls Out New Price Structure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Verizon's new price structure...some will win some will lose...big!

Capture.PNG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I read the article which goes on in detail about why they're doing it. The price structure is definitely an advantage to some but to most, it will be a setback. They also don't mention about what will happen or change with their current data plans for the cellular capable iPad. If the same price structure (data) is true for the iPad, very few people are going to buy the Verizon model. Of course, if AT&T follows suite, it won't make much difference.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can keep all current plans as they exist...Once you make any changes ( after June 28th ) you will have to comply with their new shared system. Also, existing plan holders can keep their plans if they upgrade but must purchase the device in full...( no subsidy ). So long answer...yes includes iPhones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Isn't this just for family Plan pricing? That's what it looks like to me.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
...They also don't mention about what will happen or change with their current data plans for the cellular capable iPad.

I called Verizon on this and the iPad is able to stay as it is for the pre-paid pricing, but you can also bring your iPad into the plan as one of the 10 devices.

I'm actually going to be OK with this plan as it will allow me to bring another smartphone online for my son and I will still be saving $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The problem is they are charging you more of an access fee - then charging you per gigabyte on top of that access fee. I am right now paying $30 for unlimited. Now to upgrade a phone I need to pay $40 - then pick a gigabyte tier - so the minimum would be $90 - for 1GB. The down side is the $40/device - this is really the jack in price - I should have bought everyone the $30 unlimited when I had the chance. The no subsidy thing sucks - but 4G burns a lot of data really fast.

My company covers my data - but I've easily doubled and tripled my data bill with my 4G mifi ($300-$400 vs $80 for 10GB) when I have a lot of travel. Right now overages are $10/GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
If i switch from AT&T my bill would jump $35

wow and we use maybe 10 txt a month and maybe at a stretch 100 min a month

2 iphone 2 reg phones that is $140 just in line changes that is what i pay with 2 data plans and 2 grandfathered $5 txt plans(with my company discount) and those data limits suck for the prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Isn't this just for family Plan pricing? That's what it looks like to me.

Doug

I think this is there "Shared Data Plans" Pricing not just Family.

I would be interested to know individual device plans.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I called Verizon on this and the iPad is able to stay as it is for the pre-paid pricing, but you can also bring your iPad into the plan as one of the 10 devices.

Thanks John. I already have Verizon as my ISP (FIOS broadband and TV), and was concerned about the new price plan. My son has 4 Verizon iPhones for his family so maybe this new plan will benefit him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

That's odd. "Shared" just sounds like another term for family in this case.

Doug

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This is the whole plan...cheapest rate for an individual is/will be 90.00 mo.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We are on an ATT Enterprise Plan. I traded my Unlimited Data for a Tethered 5GB Data Plan, but my wife still has the $30 Unlimited. We both have iPad 2s and until recently had the $30 Unlimited Data on them as well (switched both off).

Looking at this chart, I don't see any reasonable choice that wouldn't result in a cost increase for me.

An additional question occurs, the new iPad can operate as a WiFi Hot Spot. If you have one would there be any reason/sense in getting a Cellular Card for a Laptop and paying the $20/mo access fee?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
An additional question occurs, the new iPad can operate as a WiFi Hot Spot. If you have one would there be any reason/sense in getting a Cellular Card for a Laptop and paying the $20/mo access fee?

Not really. The iPad hot spot works pretty well, but I'm keeping my MiFi as there are times that I don't have the iPad with me, but the MiFi is always in the bag. On the new plan the phones will also be able to be a hot spot for no additional fee, but I think the phone is tied up if it is set in hot spot mode. I may be wrong on this, does anyone know for sure?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really. The iPad hot spot works pretty well, but I'm keeping my MiFi as there are times that I don't have the iPad with me, but the MiFi is always in the bag. On the new plan the phones will also be able to be a hot spot for no additional fee, but I think the phone is tied up if it is set in hot spot mode. I may be wrong on this, does anyone know for sure?

I use my iPhone 3Gs as a Hot Spot and I haven't noticed any impact. It definitely still works as a phone and messages go through fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
This is the whole plan...cheapest rate for an individual is/will be 90.00 mo.

I know Pinfull isn't it.

If they get rid of all the other plans and only have this available it will suck badly.

Those data prices need to drop by $30 each on the low end and 20 each on the high end.

also if they cared about the customer it would just be a base starting price of $20 for data with 1gb included and just bump you to the next tire automatically if it is used in that month.

Then it would be in the reasonable price range to share.

Either that or it needs to be $10 each for a device.

$40 for a smartphone is crazy talk.

at the moment they are ripping you off and both ends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I use my iPhone 3Gs as a Hot Spot and I haven't noticed any impact. It definitely still works as a phone and messages go through fine.

That is true for any GSM service provider (ATT) - but for anyone with the CDMA iPhone (Sprint & Verizon) - you cannot use data and voice at the same time. (If/When LTE comes out that will change)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is true for any GSM service provider (ATT) - but for anyone with the CDMA iPhone (Sprint & Verizon) - you cannot use data and voice at the same time. (If/When LTE comes out that will change)

I had forgotten that . . . we picked ATT because better signal strength in our home area, but good to remember if I am ever tempted to switch.

Doubt seriously we will see LTE in our area any time this decade (regardless of what it does in the rest of the US).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP 2.66 GHz i7 8GB RAM
While the concept of having all of your devices on one plan with shared data, etc. is very good, the way Verizon has chosen to implement it is ridiculously expensive for most. I was thinking of waiting until the iPhone 5 came out to consider switching over from my Android, but the per GB cost is going to make that prohibitive, so I may go with the 4s now to keep my grandfathered unlimited data for as long as I can.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't count on keeping your grandfathered unlimited data plan for very long. Verizon has a bad habit of nullifying unlimited plans. We had a special unlimited plan with our Verizon FIOS broadband and TV and were paying what I thought at the time a fair rate. However, after 2 years, Verizon notified us that they would no longer honor that plan and instead instituted a new rate plan which was 15% higher. That really upset me but there was not much I could do about it because other ISPs were either just as high or higher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP 2.66 GHz i7 8GB RAM
Yeah, I'm sure they'll find a way to force us all off of it eventually, but at least I'll have it for the 2 years of the contract at a minimum. If they pull it then, I'll look into upgrading again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.