Powerbook G4 OS 10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 imacs, 2 iphones, 1 ipad
Hi, I'm looking for some help/advice, I'm not the most technically minded person, so please bare with me!

My 84yo grandpa has decided he wants his first computer and to get online and keep in touch with some relatives by email. To keep him from getting a PC, I have given him my old Powerbook G4 currently running 10.3.9 - old i know, but should be ample for what he is wanting to do, or so i thought.

I got the laptop cleaned up and ready and he's working well with it and his digital camera, however, we got his broadband turned on yesterday and because it is running 10.3.9 it won't load the latest safari or firefox and as such, it won't load Yahoo mail, which is where i have set up his email! I also tried hotmail and Gmail and it won't run any of them.

Does anyone know a way around this, if a powerbook G4 OS is upgradeable past 10.3.9 and how i go about it if so?? Anyone else have a G4 powerbook that they have managed to keep running?

I know the obvious answer to buy a new laptop, but at 84, he doesn't want (or have) 1k to spend on a new macbook and I really don't think he'll last two minutes with a PC.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't give us any cpu specs. on this Powerbook G4...but it is probably safe to assume that it can be upgraded to OS 10.4 (Tiger)...and if the cpu specs. are good enough...it would be upgradeable to OS 10.5 (Leopard).

If the cpu specs are acceptable...OS 10.5.8 is the absolute "newest" OS that a Powerbook G4 can be upgraded to.

In either case...an install disk for 10.4 or 10.5 will cost you $80-$100 in the US...not sure how much they will cost you in the UK.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I took a photo on my phone of the profile, does this help?

photo.JPG

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I took a photo on my phone of the profile, does this help?

Whoa...unfortunately this Powerbook G4 is a lot slower than I was hoping. 400mhz is pretty darn slow. Even OS 10.4 (Tiger) won't run very fast on it.

Upgrading to 10.4 Tiger is possible...I would not upgrade to OS 10.5. Not only will it be VERY slow...but you need at least an 867mhz cpu to upgrade to 10.5.

You could upgrade this computer to 10.4 (purchase 10.4 install disk off e-Bay)...or spent some $$$/£££ to get a better used computer for your granddad...so he will have a better computing experience.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feared as much, thanks for your help Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feared as much, thanks for your help Nick

You're welcome.:)

I own a lot of various Macintosh computer models...and honestly...these days...I wouldn't surf the internet on anything slower than a G4 based Mac with less than a 1.25ghz cpu...running OS 10.4 or 10.5.

This is what I'm calling an absolute minimum for a "decent" internet surfing experience (and this wouldn't even include being able to watch internet video).

There are plenty of slower/older Mac models that will get the job done...they will just be slow. If budget was not an issue...ideally I would recommend getting a Macintosh with at least an Intel cpu. But I understand you may have some budget constraints...and that this Powerbook G4 you would be giving to your Granddad was an opportunity to get him started with computing at a minimal cost.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.