2012 MacBook Pro or Air?

Reaction score
Comparing the updated MacBook air and pro 13 inch, for the high end version of both models, which laptop comes out better for performance? Add the 8GB of Memory instead of 4GB and potentially the 2.0GHz i7 upgrade to the air and does it bring it up to higher level than the pro?

Primary use is for study needs (so portability is important) as well as music, videos, and games such as the GTA's, sports games and games like Civ V.

Is the pro too heavy? Is the air to structurally flimsy?

Reaction score
Comparing the updated MacBook air and pro 13 inch, for the high end version of both models, which laptop comes out better for performance? Add the 8GB of Memory instead of 4GB and potentially the 2.0GHz i7 upgrade to the air and does it bring it up to higher level than the pro?

Primary use is for study needs (so portability is important) as well as music, videos, and games such as the GTA's, sports games and games like Civ V.

Is the pro too heavy? Is the air to structurally flimsy?
Let's look at the statistics
MacBook Air (As Described)
$1699
2.0 GHz Dual-Core i7 w/ 3MB of L3 Cache
8GM Ram
256 GB Flash
Intel HD Graphics 4000
2 x USB 3 Ports
1 ThunderBolt
Screen: 1440 by 900

MacBook Pro 13"
$1499
2.9GHz dual-core i7 w/ 4MB L3 Cache
8GB Ram
750 GB HD (Option for 1TB +$100)
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Same Ports + Firewire and Audio line in
Screen: 1280 by 800

Ok. So if you are talking about performance, they are similar. However, the macbook pro does have the edge with the better processor and 4MB or L3 Cache instead of 3MB, which is quicker access to memory that is sitting on the processor. Obviously the pro has x3 or more the amount of memory of the air. They have the same graphics card, but the air has a higher resolution screen.
The pro is a more powerful machine. The Air is "sexier". I personally would go with a MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Let's look at the statistics

Ok. So if you are talking about performance, they are similar. However, the macbook pro does have the edge with the better processor and 4MB or L3 Cache instead of 3MB, which is quicker access to memory that is sitting on the processor.

Let's be serious here. There's a BIG difference in cpu speed. The 2.0ghz cpu of the MBA versus the 2.9ghz cpu in the MBP is a BIG difference! But to be safe...we should probably wait until some reviews are written & benchmarks performed before declaring a winner.;)

Obviously the pro has x3 or more the amount of memory of the air.

The proper term is "storage space"...not memory! "Memory" is the term used to describe ram...not HD or SSD storage space.

I do agree...the larger resolution display on the 13" MBA is big plus.

Personally I would go with the faster cpu MBP. And to bump up performance later with the MBP...I would upgrade to an SSD.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Personally I would go with the faster cpu MBP. And to bump up performance later with the MBP...I would upgrade to an SSD.

Thanks for your advice. So would it be more beneficial for the future to upgrade to a 128 or 256GB SSD rather than upgrading to say a 1TB HDD?

The 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD upgrades are the same cost. I just worry that 128 or even 256 GB is too small...

Reaction score
Let's be serious here. There's a BIG difference in cpu speed. The 2.0ghz cpu of the MBA versus the 2.9ghz cpu in the MBP is a BIG difference! But to be safe...we should probably wait until some reviews are written & benchmarks performed before declaring a winner.;)

The proper term is "storage space"...not memory! "Memory" is the term used to describe ram...not HD or SSD storage space.

I do agree...the larger resolution display on the 13" MBA is big plus.

- Nick
I actually read recently something about the processor's higher frequency 2.9 vs 2.0 is not nearly as affective on actual speed compared for example to 8GB of ram vs 4 GB. Meaning a 2.0 with 8GB would be running much faster that a 2.9 with 4GB. What's your take on this.
Also, thanks for clearing up the terminology.

Thanks for your advice. So would it be more beneficial for the future to upgrade to a 128 or 256GB SSD rather than upgrading to say a 1TB HDD?

The 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD upgrades are the same cost. I just worry that 128 or even 256 GB is too small...
I am not a big fan of huge storage space on the computer. You can get a 2TB external for what you used to pay for a 200GB just a few years ago. Do you really need direct access at all times to more than 256 GB? If yes, than stick to HDD. Also, considering upgrade to 256 Flash is like $400 I believe, you might as well already get the MB Retina =]

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I actually read recently something about the processor's higher frequency 2.9 vs 2.0 is not nearly as affective on actual speed compared for example to 8GB of ram vs 4 GB. Meaning a 2.0 with 8GB would be running much faster that a 2.9 with 4GB. What's your take on this.

To be a fair test/comparison, both computers should have the same amount of ram. An SSD (versus a traditional HD) can make a computer seem faster than it's cpu speed would indicate.

So if you take two computers (both with the same amount of ram & both with an SSD)...one has a 2.0ghz cpu & the other has a 2.9ghz cpu (both are the same "vintage")...then the computer with the 2.9ghz cpu should be a good bit faster.

As far as comparing two computers (same vintage):

- one with 4gig of ram & 2.9ghz cpu
- the other 8gig of ram & 2.0ghz cpu

...and which one would be faster. More ram does not necessarily mean more speed. If a computer already has enough ram to run the OS efficiently...and open some apps....then more ram won't speed things up. Especially if all someone is doing is e-mail and internet surfing. An SSD will probably speed things up more versus a traditional HD.

So for example...if someone was just surfing the internet (with each of the two computers listed above)...the 2.9ghz with 4gig of ram would probably be faster.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.