Mozilla/firefox question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Don't know if this is the correct/best place but here goes.

I'm guilty of not keeping terribly up to date with apps, but that being said, my problems first appeared with last years version of Firefox, but persists although I have updated to the most current version. Basically, what is happening is that I will click on some window/link and get an error message saying "requires latest version of adobe flash" would you like to update. I select update, and go through the directions, I get the message that says, "Successfully upgraded", but on returning I still have the same error.

I like using Firefox, only because of the Bookmark design, but I became so disgusted with not being able to get the Flash to upgrade that I just exported the bookmarks to Safari.

I did do a re-boot after doing all the upgrades, but that did not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

KKKKFL

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you go here, what does it say with regards to the Flash version?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Checked out the link you provided and it just causes more confusion.

Using Firefox, I go to Photobucket and it says I need to upgrade the Adobe flash. However If I use Safari, I go to Photobucket, and DO NOT get that message. So Flash is good in Safari, but not good in Firefox.
Using Firefox, I select the "Upgrade Flash" and follow the prompts, I get the final message saying "Upgrade Successful", but on re-starting Firefox I still get the Flash needs to be upgraded error message.

I've rebooted the Mac but this was not any better. Same situation. Something changed, but I can't tell what. I didn't have this problem last week with Firefox.

KKKKFL

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Checked out the link you provided and it just causes more confusion.
How so?

If you go to the URL "about:plugins" (without the quotation marks) in Firefox, you should get a list of loaded plugins. Do you see "Shockwave Flash" in that list? If so, what version does it list?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
My mac is at home so I cannot check it just now, but I want to understand your directions so please forgive me if this sounds a little stupid.

Per your instructions:
I fire up Firefox, then somewhere there's a button or link that says "about plugins" I select this and should see what plugins are loaded, and I need to look for Shockwave Flash, and it should have a
version number.

I'm certain that you are directing me in the right direction. Just cannot imagine why the Shockwave Flash plugin works for Safari, but not for Firefox.

Thanks for your assistance, will test this out in about 5 hours.

KKKKFL

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
about:plugins is a URL - it doesn't look like one but if you put that in the address bar and hit enter, you'll get a list of all the plugins that Firefox has loaded. You can do this on any version of Firefox so if you're at work and have FF on your machine, give it a try to see what I mean.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Windows machine at work with Internet Exploder as browser... will have to wait...
but you say type in "about:plugins" (without the quotes) hit return, and I should get
a response as to what plugins Firefox has loaded. Will give it a whirl.

KKKKFL

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Well I did that, but there does not appear to be shockwave flash under the Java apps... I know it installed ok, at least the message said so. What must be done for Firefox to find it?
Also how do I disable xmarks? I don't want it and it seems that it cannot correctly snychronize.

Thanks
KKKKFL

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It won't be under Java - it will be its own section. Let me show you what it should look like (the version numbers might be different):

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 8.24.31 AM.jpg

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks for the assistance....
Over the weekend, I was trolling through the preferences within Firefox and found a pull-down dealing with plug-ins, sure enough it showed Shockwave flash was installed, HOWEVER, it showed that it was disabled. Just why it became disabled I have no idea. I did enable it and now Firefox works fine.

Thanks again.

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.