I just got a Macbook need help restoring it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm new to mac. I got this mac from my grandmas friend. It has all the data on it from him, with all his pictures, movies, documents and all the stuff. It's an old macbook, not sure how old, but i want to restore it, and delete all the files off of it, and make my own account.
I do not have the installation disc. So, is there a way I can do it? Please let me know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you need an OS installation disk...you need to decide if you want to install 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion (you need at least a Core 2 duo cpu for Lion).

If you want to install 10.6 Snow Leopard...then purchase this:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you need an OS installation disk...you need to decide if you want to install 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion (you need at least a Core 2 duo cpu for Lion).

If you want to install 10.6 Snow Leopard...then purchase this:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. When I check the "About my Mac" It says I am running 10.6.8. What version is that? Snow Leopard? Would I just be able to get Lion and upgrade to that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. When I check the "About my Mac" It says I am running 10.6.8. What version is that? Snow Leopard? Would I just be able to get Lion and upgrade to that?

Yes...10.6.8 is Snow Leopard. So to upgrade to Lion (10.7) you need to go to the "Mac App Store", open an account (if you don't already have one), and download Lion ($29.99).

You didn't mention the exact specs of the MacBook...but you need a Core 2 Duo cpu for Lion (some of the early MacBooks did not have a Core 2 Duo cpu).

- Nick

p.s. I see that you have specs for a MacBook in your profile. If this is the MacBook in question in this thread...then it can run Lion.:)

p.p.s. "Duo" is spelled wrong in your profile.;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...10.6.8 is Snow Leopard. So to upgrade to Lion (10.7) you need to go to the "Mac App Store", open an account (if you don't already have one), and download Lion ($29.99).

You didn't mention the exact specs of the MacBook...but you need a Core 2 Duo cpu for Lion (some of the early MacBooks did not have a Core 2 Duo cpu).

- Nick

p.s. I see that you have specs for a MacBook in your profile. If this is the MacBook in question in this thread...then it can run Lion.:)

p.p.s. "Duo" is spelled wrong in your profile.;)

Oh. Thanks for the correction. So, I can run lion. If I buy it, will it restore this computer to like new? Because I do want to delete all the files (Documents, movies, pictures,, everything) from this computer so I can be up and running with it. With my own account and everything. Will getting lion do this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.