• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

thinksecret: 13.3" ibook - 12" powerbook to be dropped

T

thoughtCoat

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0512briefly.html

Apple appears on track to deliver an Intel-based iBook early next year, sources report, and in doing so will replace its long-standing 14.1-inch model with a widescreen 13.3-inch display.

The 13.3-inch widescreen iBook is said to sport a WXGA resolution of 1280x720, serving up about 15 percent more pixels than the current 14.1-inch model. Sources also note that the 12.1-inch model will continue to live on in iBook form factor, but that its days are numbered as a PowerBook configuration. The 12-inch PowerBook was hardly touched with Apple's October revision, seeing only a price drop on the SuperDrive model and the elimination of the Combo drive version.

Reaction score
After hearing that, I am pretty sure I won't be buying an iBook until the change comes.

OP
F

ForeverG5

Ah, well, I love my 12" 1.33. Sounds cool though. I would like to see an iBook with the size of a small, thin and light notebook...like the Dell 700m. That is a cute size for a laptop.

It's about time they dropped the 12" PB. That will definitely set the iBook and PowerBook line apart. :)

OP
L

lil

That said though... the PowerBook 12-inch model is a wonderful laptop. Time will tell.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
i don't want them to drop the 14" ibook :( i like the little-bit more display room...

OP
D

DigitalN.

macEfan said:
i don't want them to drop the 14" ibook :( i like the little-bit more display room...
eactly, it would be a 12" iBook tall, and inbetween wide. I personally like my 14" of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, PowerMac G4
i don't know, the 12" is quite handy for throwing in your backpack and taking to class. i hope the new ones still live up to that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Personally, I think all laptops should be widescreen, I'm partial on the 43 aspect ratio. I have twin 15" lcd's on my desktop so it's not bad, but my laptop is widescreen, the 12" is just too darn small.

OP
F

franks21

I like the 12in and am not much of a fan of widescreen. I think the 700m is just to small. I worked on one for a week or so and was not a fan. At some point it just gets to small. Right now i think my 12in iBook is great and dont think i would mind a 14in one either. just my thoughts.

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
13.3 Widescreen, Yonah Dual Core, Faster System Bus...MMMMmmmmm...I'm in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
The only thing I'm worried about is, I've all but convinced a good friend of mine to switch, and she's buying her laptop in Jan, and I'm not sure if I'd think it was fair to switch her over to be a "beta tester" when I won't have used any Intel books myself. Especially since she mainly needs it for MS Office, which will probably not be converted over as fast.

OP
L

lil

I'd be very surprised if the iBook has anything like the Yonah Dual-core processor in it. We have been used to the situatation some time now where the iBook and PowerBook are more closely specced than they have ever been, I'd espect with the introduction of the intel processors this gap to widen again.

At the moment there are lots of good reasons to choose a PowerBook over an iBook and vice versa, but processor speed it certainly not one of those!

Vicky

OP
B

Berman

steidl705 said:
i don't know, the 12" is quite handy for throwing in your backpack and taking to class. i hope the new ones still live up to that

this is exactly why I got the 12" ibook. I've got a 20" imac for home, so I just use the ibook on the go. the 12" weighs nothing, it's smaller and lighter than a lot of textbooks.

i am however mad i bought the ibook a couple months ago. i would have liked the widescreen one, as well as the new processor. oh well, when they come out I may be selling my ibook on ebay. thankfully macs hold their value, i doubt i'll lose more than a couple hundred.

OP
B

Berman

lil said:
I'd be very surprised if the iBook has anything like the Yonah Dual-core processor in it. We have been used to the situatation some time now where the iBook and PowerBook are more closely specced than they have ever been, I'd espect with the introduction of the intel processors this gap to widen again.

At the moment there are lots of good reasons to choose a PowerBook over an iBook and vice versa, but processor speed it certainly not one of those!

Vicky

it seems they'd have to update both at the same time, or we'll have an ibook that is more powerful than the powerbook. that would be retarted. because that Yonah is going to blow any G4 out of the water performance wise.

OP
L

lil

I expect the iBook to get either the Celeron M or the single core Yonah series. Either way, I really doubt Apple release an Intel iBook that trounces CPU speed wise the PowerBook, that would be a little silly, but then -- what nets them the most money, the larger consumer market-base or the smaller but higher-spending professional base - I don't know to be honest.

Either way, the G4 isn't a bad chip, it's a little dated, but it does get more flack than it should and when I churn out the stuff I do on my PowerBook G4 12-inch; I think dang this one hot piece of kit. I am considering getting a Power Mac G5 next year, but may yet even just go for a dual 1.25/1.42 Power Mac G4 (for the little bit of video editing you may catch me doing and taking some of the burden off the PowerBook!).

Games performance is not optimal on PowerPC it has to be said, Intel wallops it around with nasty slimey wet trout, but for the things Mac users tend to do, which is things aside from games, it can hold its own.

Without wishing to hijack this thread; this is what I wrote some time back:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=164454#post164454

Again I am just sitting back, and when something arrives, it arrives, and whether Steve Jobs reveals something new for me to potentially lust over or not, doesn't matter; as once he has finished being absolutely thrilled about his one more thing item :flower: - my Mac is still going to be working and doing the things that it always has done and really, should continue to do for a long way into the future. There will always be something better, something newer -- but again I turn to what this little thing churns out with me at the steering wheel and think, doesn't matter; I can do all that I ever wanted on a computer on *this*.

And that more than anything just rocks :flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I hope it doesn't have Celeron M. I'm hoping for a single core for the iBook, and dual for the powerbook. That makes the iBook/Powerbook seperate enough, but the iBook is still appealing. What Apple needs to do, is really draw the line between professional and student/regular users. A single core for the iBook and dual for the Powerbook would do that. Most defenitly.

Just my 2 cents, I think that a lot more people would be attracted the iBook if it's VRAm got increased to at least 64mb. That's becoming the standard now-a-days. The powerbooks can get 128 (I think the 17/15 inch already do). I'm just praying for a sub 900 dollar iBook with a single core Yonah and better VRAM, then I'll be running to the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
I can't wait to see what's in store for the Powerbooks.

OP
L

lil

In fact you won't find many laptops in the iBook's price range with 64MB dedicated VRAM, usually it's shared RAM which is much lower in terms of performance.

The 15 and 17-inch do indeed have 128MB dedicated VRAM.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Indeed.

lil said:
In fact you won't find many laptops in the iBook's price range with 64MB dedicated VRAM, usually it's shared RAM which is much lower in terms of performance.

The 15 and 17-inch do indeed have 128MB dedicated VRAM.

Vicky

This is true. I'd much rather have 32mb. of dedicated than 64 shared.

Pierre

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.