by running an App called Little Snitch.

Is it a IP verifier or what?

Thanks from a Mac Forums Noobie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Little Snitch is an application that informs you whenever something tries to access the net. Read about it here and also download.

C

chas_m

It's generally used by people who have pirated software and don't want the software to "phone home." At least that's my observation.

I'm sure there are legit uses for it, just like there are legit uses for BitTorrent; but you know, COME ON. Let's be real, shall we?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, Little snitch on a Mac is for people paranoid that their computer will get hacked. I have only used it a few times to actually see what was doing what on the net. Not running it down BTW, but really of little use for me most of the time at this point in time. If on Windows, I could see using an app like that.

I think it's an excellent app for concerned people, but on OSX, I really don't need it. With me only use it to see what some apps are doing. Not pirated one BTW.

That is interesting that you have seen pirates use it. Never have myself but then again most of the true pirates I know run Windows anyway! :D

BTW I use Bit torrent for my Linux and Haiku downloads. Find it very fast and easy to do in the background. Always trying new things. So far never found an OS I like as well as OSX! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It's generally used by people who have pirated software and don't want the software to "phone home." At least that's my observation.

I'm sure there are legit uses for it, just like there are legit uses for BitTorrent; but you know, COME ON. Let's be real, shall we?

I use it just to monitor what my computer is doing. Plus it has an added benefit of the current OS X malware auto deleting itself if it detects Little Snitch installed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could always use netstat to monitor network connections - it's free and included with OS X. Unix nerd warning though: it requires using the command line. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.