Weird Finder Icon Behaviour

Reaction score
Since about 10 am today I encounter a really weird display of my Finder icon, both in the Dock and in the 'cmd+tab' menu, don't know it's former name.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Anybody knowing something about this? A friend of mine said something about a new OS X virus, but I wasn't able to find out anything about this per google, hope you can help me out with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's not a new OSX virus, nor is it an old OS X virus, because there has never been even one OS X virus. Ask your friend the name of this alleged OS X virus. You won't get a legitimate answer.

You need to tell us your OS X version. It's probably something corrupt in your Finder plist file. That would be my first theory anyway. Depending on what version you have, the "path" to finding that file is different.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, have you added any Finder modification programs lately? I can't think of any that do that but it's something to rule out.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm running on 10.7.3 , already tried to update twice but download would fail, but that might be the fault of my poor internet connection.

No I didn't add any Finder modification at all if I remember right, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, in Lion the folder you need to find is hidden. (I haven't upgraded to Lion.) I think it's an Option-Click on the Go menu to reveal the Library folder that is in your Home folder. Then open Preferences.

Find that file mentioned above, drag it out of there and onto your Desktop, then Restart.

That makes a fresh file in that folder. It might clear things up for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.