Successes with SSD for mid 2009 MBP?

Reaction score
I have a mid 2009 MBP and am looking to upgrade to SSD. Considering the amount of research I have done, I am shocked that there is no consensus about the likelihood of any brand SSD to work properly in the 2.53 GHz MBP. Some say that their Crucial M4 has worked fine despite not being able to make use of the 6GB, while others have said that buying a 6GB will actually slow down reads/writes if used on a 3GB, such as the 2009 MBP.I really don't want to do this if there is a fairly good chance of failure. Also, I have some interest in doing the opti-drive thing. I suspect that I have learned as much as I am going to learn about this, but if anyone has had success with this on their 2009 MBP, I would be interested in hearing how it worked out...what brands have worked? Has anyone used SLC not MLC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
all mbp with i5 and i7 processor run with 6gb while core 2 runs with 3gb is sata 2, they all work with mbp, should not be a problem.
even you buy that m4 from crucial it is sata3 should not be a problem, maybe later on when you buy 2011 or new mbp should still
work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I'm using a 256GB Sandisk 6GBs SSD in my 2009 MBP 13-inch with no problems. The drive is amazingly faster than the 7200 RPM HD it replaced. I say go for it.

Reaction score
I have the same model MBP and had the the same questions you did. I didn't do enough research and went with the Crucial M4 256GB. I am returning it today after spending hours of trouble shooting. I finally found a forum thread on Crucials site that discusses all the issues people are having with the firmware. The newest firmware, 000F has a problem with MacBooks. Some said that downgrading to 0309 firmware would fix it. It kind of worked for me, but the beach balling was still a major problem and there were many hang ups. The computer would usually boot fast, but sometimes it would take much longer then a mechanical HDD. I reinstalled OS 10.7 several times and it didn't make a difference.

Here is a link to just one of the many threads on Crucials forum. Look around there and I have a feeling you will rule out crucial (at least until they fix their firmware)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M4-Firmware-000f-is-now-available/td-p/93526

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.