House Cleaning-Any Guidelines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (M1, 2020) * iPhone 12 * Apl Watch Series 5
I'm trying to clean up my MacBook, too much stuff. Where should I start, are there any how to's that I can use?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By too much stuff, what are you referring to? Too much music, movies, photos?

The reason we ask is because it's not recommended to start arbitrarily deleting things from your hard drive. That usually leads to trouble. Tell us what it is that you would like to remove.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you don't know what it is, don't delete it. If it's not a file (includes the above) think twice before you delete it. If you don't know the consequences of deleting it, don't.

Looking for an app to make these decisions for you sounds like the "easy" way. It can also lead to trouble.

OP
ekkojelly7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (M1, 2020) * iPhone 12 * Apl Watch Series 5
I have 105 MB's on my Desktop. My Documents folder has 10.3 GB's (9 of which are a video project). Too much, just right or...wrong questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have 105 MB's on my Desktop. My Documents folder has 10.3 GB's (9 of which are a video project). Too much, just right or...wrong questions?

As quoted above only delete files that you've created /added like those in Documents/pictures/video but only you can tell whether they are able to be deleted or perhaps moved to an external hard disk.

Another option is to uninstall any software you've added that you no longer need. Again, stick to apps you've installed and you know you don't use.

If you really can't remove things because you need to keep them you need to consider the external drive or replacement hard disk option.

Running the automated scripts in a tool like Onyx will safely clear down temp files, caches, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.