• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I fresh-install my codecs?

Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to view QuickTime movies using the XDCAM EX codec on my Mac, which is installed as part of the "QuickTime Pro codecs" package. But in order to install that package you need FCP X, Motion 5 or Compressor 4. I didn't have one of those pieces of software installed, so I tried to manually install all of the codecs from the downloadable .pkg file. It worked for every codec except for Apple Intermediate Codec. It looks like that one can't be upgraded while OS X is running.

I'm now able to view XDCAM EX movies, but I'm getting stability problems. It's really not working out.

Now I've installed Motion 5 just to see if I can do a clean install of the QuickTime Pro codecs package. But I can't. When I run the QT Pro codecs package, it says that a new version of the software is already installed on my hard disk. Under /Library/QuickTime, I see that the AppleIntermediateCodec.component is 0 bytes.

Any ideas how I can clean-install my codecs?

Richard

OP
R
Reaction score
Problem solved

I solved the problem, folks. For future reference, here's what I did:

1. Boot from a Mac running the same version of OS X, but one that doesn't have the QT Pro codecs installed. Mount the internal hard disk of the problem machine. (Note you can do this from the problem machine itself if you boot from an external hard disk or from another Mac in target disk mode).

2. Nuke the entire contents of /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/QuickTime/ on the problem Mac. (Or even better, archive them somewhere else).

3. Copy the contents of /Library/QuickTime/ (on the working machine) to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/QuickTime/ on the problem machine

4. Boot from the problem machine, and run Software Update. The machine should immediately try to fresh-install your codecs.

....voila.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that tip. I would never have thought of that. Makes sense though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.