sNOw Leopard?????

Reaction score
Hi,

I have updated my OS from tiger to snow leopard, it all went fine and booted perfectly the first time. I then ran a software update and updated firefox and restarted my MBPS as requested, now when I try to turn it on, after the grey apple screen it all goes black and a large white square appears. If I move the track pad the square moves. I've tried googling the problem but can find no assistance, does anyone have any ideas?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Update, the black screen and white dot only appears when I try and start in safe mode, if I try to load normally, I get a black screen with some coloured pixels

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you've got a bad install of 10.6.8. You may need to restore from the backup you made just prior to upgrading from Tiger (10.4) and repeat the process. This time, I would recommend downloading the 10.6.8 combo update before installing.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Cheers, how do I use the hard drive I have to do that?

What software did you use to make your backup? If it was SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, it should be easy enough to just boot the machine directly from the external by holding the Option key as soon as you turn the machine on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.