Help, Macbook Pro screen cracked

Reaction score
so just today I cracked my macbook pro screen, my mother was picking it up and held it by the screen and the side by the black part cracked the lcd is fine just the exterior screen cracked pictures included. Can someone tell me about how much this is going to cost and what should I say to the genius bar guys.
photo.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about the year and model? Late model MacBook Pro machines have a glass panel attached (actually glued) to the LCD. In order to replace the glass, the entire LCD needs to be replaced.

Take it to your local genius bar and ask for an estimate. We can't give you a ballpark figure because we don't know which MacBook Pro you have.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks.

I have a 2011 13inch I5 macbook pro I bought it at the apple store in soho, manhattan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. If you ask Apple to replace the LCD, it's probably going to cost $500 upward, possibly more. As I stated above, you can not just replace the glass since it's glued to the LCD. I guess I should qualify that... I suppose with the right tools, you could possibly do the work yourself but it would be risky. Get an estimate from Apple before you decide.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You may also want to consider Techrestore.com, Powerbookmedic.com and the many other AASPs out there that can do the work for a fraction of the cost of having an Apple Store do it. You may have to mail it in, but the money you save will easily make up for that small inconvenience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.