Liquid damage

Reaction score
Hi all,

2011 macbook pro unibody, water spilt on keyboard -.-

First off no warranty obviously so have taken apart and cleaned thoroughly with alcohol.
the unit works but the backlight has failed, I can shine a torch/flashlight through and see the screen and can also use an external monitor,

I want to repair this at component level if possible (I simply cant afford to replace the logic board).
Any advice on what to look for? what part? which fuses and how to check etc?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any advice on what to look for?

If the logic board is the problem...there's nothing for you to repair. You either replace the logic board...or buy a new computer. Logic boards are simply NOT repairable by the end-user.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
but surely if the fuse is blown it can be replaced or it can be bypassed? I appreciate what you're saying but its not getting that much money spent! its a fully functioning desktop but i want the screen /sigh

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but surely if the fuse is blown it can be replaced or it can be bypassed?

What the heck "fuse" are you even talking about...or you think even exists?? What makes you think there is a fuse?

Do you really think that this is the first time we've had someone post a question about a liquid damaged MacBook/MacBook Pro??? If there was an easy fix...it would have already been mentioned.

I appreciate what you're saying but its not getting that much money spent! its a fully functioning desktop but i want the screen /sigh

Sorry...I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with with this statement???

I thought we were talking about a liquid spilled laptop...I don't know what you mean about a desktop...fully functioning...and wanting the screen.

The bottom line is (as I already mentioned)...is if the logic board on your MacBook Pro was damaged due to a liquid spill...you cannot cannot fix it!

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Nick has said, the damage is very likely to the logic board. Your 2011 MBP does not use an inverter for the LCD backlight since the backlight is LED lighted.

Also, you probably did more damage to the logic board by cleaning with alcohol which is detrimental to circuit boards. Replacing the logic board will approach the cost of a new MBP. Unless you have some sort of accidental damage insurance coverage, I'm afraid your 2011 MBP is a write off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, you probably did more damage to the logic board by cleaning with alcohol which is detrimental to circuit boards.

Yeah...I was going to mention this as well. Definitely agree...not a very good idea to clean logic boards with alcohol.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
Hi all,

2011 macbook pro unibody, water spilt on keyboard -.-

First off no warranty obviously so have taken apart and cleaned thoroughly with alcohol.
the unit works but the backlight has failed, I can shine a torch/flashlight through and see the screen and can also use an external monitor,

I want to repair this at component level if possible (I simply cant afford to replace the logic board).
Any advice on what to look for? what part? which fuses and how to check etc?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

I had the same problem with a white macbook,I replaced the top case keyboard & worked like a charm..you might be able do the same..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.