Mac newbie - file disappearance

D

dagfink

Why do mp3 files disappear from their folder when I play them through iTunes?

How do I prevent this from happening?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
dagfink said:
Why do mp3 files disappear from their folder when I play them through iTunes?

How do I prevent this from happening?

Can you be a bit more specific, are you "Importing" them into iTunes?

What iTunes settings do you have? (i.e go to iTunes->Preferences and go through the various tabs)

Amen-Moses

OP
D

dagfink

Nope. I don't import them.

This is the scenario: I am browsing my music folders in Finder. I suddenly figure I want to listen to, say, King Crimson. I double click a song, iTunes plays it (inshallah), but the song in question is gone from its folder.

I do appreciate iTunes' ability and inclination to play double clicked songs, but I'd rather not negotiate with it if my folders are at stake.

:biohazard (Green is appropriate.)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
dagfink said:
Nope. I don't import them.

This is the scenario: I am browsing my music folders in Finder. I suddenly figure I want to listen to, say, King Crimson. I double click a song, iTunes plays it (inshallah), but the song in question is gone from its folder.

I do appreciate iTunes' ability and inclination to play double clicked songs, but I'd rather not negotiate with it if my folders are at stake.

:biohazard (Green is appropriate.)

Well I just copied an Mp3 file out to the desktop then double clicked on it. It plays in iTunes and the file remains on the desktop.

What version of OS X/iTunes are you using?

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.