Cannot resize partition on Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I am using a 2009 Macbook Pro running OS 10.6.8 with a 250 GB hard drive. I recently used bootcamp to create a 40 GB partition to run windows so that I could play Diablo 3 (since it was awful on the Mac side). Now that Diablo 3 has been patched to run better on Mac I decided to delete the partition. I used Disk Utility to delete the windows partition, but when I attempt to resize the Snow Leopard partition I get an error saying that the resizing failed because Disk Utility could not modify partition map because the file system verification failed.

I have tried repairing the disk permissions both booted in Snow Leopard and off of the install disk, but that doesn't seem to get rid of the error. I really would like to find a solution that doesn't involve buying 3rd party software.

Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 12.34.04 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your error was in not using the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Boot Camp partition. The BC Assistant will remove the partition and restore it to OS X. Disk Utility will indeed remove the partition, however, doing it that way usually leaves the partition table in an unmovable state.

Your best move now is to backup your OS X partition, then boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD, erase the drive, create one partition, format it, and then restore your data.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have everything backed up with time machine,but I just need a little clarification on the process you're describing. When I boot from the install dvd I should use disk utility to erase the drive and have it formatted as Mac OS (extended Journaled). Then I should install Snow Leopard and restore my data. Is all of that right? I realize that sounds almost exactly the same as what you describe in your answer, but I just want to make sure that I use the right applications this time since I messed up before by using Disk Utility instead of Bootcamp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you have the procedure correct. Since you have a good Time Machine backup, things should go smoothly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.