Apple Mail behavior when replying to mail sent to specific account

Reaction score
Hi, first post here. I just got my first MacBook Pro after I was issued a MBP by my new employer (eek, can you say "sink or swim"?) My old Windows laptop was showing signs of serious problems, so I decided that since I had to learn to use a Mac for work, total immersion was the best idea. My new MBP is running Lion.

So far, the transition has been going reasonably well, but I have a baffling issue with respect to Apple Mail.

I've used Outlook for my personal email for years, using a hosted exchange service running Exchange 2010 (with ActiveSync, which I added when I bought an iPad). My current cell phone is a Blackberry, so Exchange works nicely with it. I have Outlook 2011 for Mac on my work MacBook, but there are several ways in which it behaves differently from Outlook 2010--and not in a good way--mainly in where you can have the mail delivered. I always had all of my Windows Outlook mail delivered to my Exchange inbox. I use several different pop accounts, all of which I directed to deliver to the Exchange Inbox. That way, all of my mail is kept on the Exchange server, which is what I want. I found that with Outlook 2011 for Mac, even if I set up a rule sending my incoming mail to the Exchange inbox, if I hit "reply" it invariably used the Exchange email account to send. (NOT what I want--I want to "reply from" whichever account the mail was sent to).

After struggling with it a bit, and deciding I did not want to run Parallels constantly just to have Outlook 2010 running, I decided to try the Apple Mail app. After tinkering a bit with the rules, I finally got Apple Mail to direct the mail where I want it to go (the main Exchange inbox or one of the Exchange folders I have set up). And the reply would be sent from the account to which the original email was sent.

Or so I thought. Oddly, any email sent to "account x" (a pop email account), which is directed by rule to the main Exchange folder, behaves the way I want it to. Invariably, if I hit "reply" to such an email, it is sent from "account x". So far, so good. Unfortunately, if the email sent to "account x" is directed to a subsidiary Exchange folder, half the time a "reply" will be from "account x" and half the time it will be from the Exchange account.

This seems to be completely random. I can find no consistency or pattern to which email will be used as the "from" address. At first I thought perhaps it depended on when the email downloaded, or whether the email had already been directed to the subsidiary folder by my Windows laptop (I turned off Parallels while I was experimenting with this). I stopped retrieving emails on the Windows computer, as well, but the behavior persists.

I know this is a very arcane issue, and I am probably the only person in the world who has this kind of setup or is trying to make this happen, but it is driving me nuts. And, yes, I know I can select which account to send "from" at the time I send the email. The problem is that I often forget to do that, and I suspect sometimes it has caused certain of my emails to wind up in someone's spam folder. And certain forums where I post will only accept email from the registered address.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and I appreciate anyone who took the time to read it and think about it at all. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Reaction score
How tu setup mac mail (Version 4.6 (1085)) into Outlook 2010

I already had my Imac and Macbook configure to use Windows 7 with VM ware, I just finished installed Microsoft Office 2010 and I'm trying to setup Mac mail into Outlook, but I couldn't do it. Googled it, etc.
Can anyone can help me with this matter.
Thanks in advanced,
Andreniko

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.