Accessing files on a partitioned hard drive

Reaction score
Hi, some help would really be appreciated..

I've been running VM Ware Fusion on a MacBook for the last few years..until the motherboard died last week..

Anyway all the information is fine on the 'Mac' part of the hard drive, I have installed it all on a new MBP.

The issue is how to access what was on the Windows partition. I guess it's there, I just can't 'see' it? When I migrated everything onto the new Mac, VM Ware Fusion appears in the dock but of course it cannot locate the partitioning.

The point of all this is: I have the original hard drive (from the defunct MacBook) but how can I access the partitioned Windows part of it to get the data files at least?

Secondly how can I, if at all, install/transfer all this to the new MBP?

Any help would be appreciated as I am not an expert and would love to see my Windows files again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you say 'partition' do you mean you accessed the bootcamp partition (with Windows installed on it) via VMWare Fusion or are you talking about a VMWare virtual machine with Windows installed in it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. A VM is basically just a big file (or bundle of files). It's stored on your Mac hard drive and isn't separate partition.

By default they are stored in:
Macintosh HD/Users/Your User name/Documents/Virtual Machines

If this file cannot be found on your new hard drive in this location then it should still be on your old drive. Just copy it across, into the folder above, and VMWare should see it on startup

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,

I found the file..opened it, but VM Fusion wouldn't start up..in the bottom left corner of the screen it says 'virual machine is off' and then when I try to start it I get 'failed to connect to peer process'...ideas?

OP
S
Reaction score
I uninstalled VM ware as suggested and am trying to reinstall it. I verified the disk, and this was the result:

Invalid B-tree node size
The volume could not be verified completely.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

..however, I cannot click on 'repair disk' as it is not highlighted..

It says on the top of the box:

'If repair disk is unavailable, click Verify Disk. If the disk needs repairs, you'll be able to repair it from the Recovery HD'

How do it do this, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to boot into the Lion recovery partition (hold R at start up) or use your OSX DVD to boot from (hold option at startup).

Then run disk utility from there. Then cancel back out and boot as normal

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, I'm back again and seeing as the help I got last time was so good..

I had trouble with the VM Ware disk but finally got it to run in order to reinstall.

However, as I run it this pops up: 'Sorry, VMware Fusion can only be installed on Macs with Intel processors.'

Huh? I thought that MacBook Pros had Intel processors and I'm also pretty sure that the previous one (which ran this version of VMF) had too.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's 1.1 you have then I'd suggest downloading the 'latest' version you can - i.e. 1.1.3
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=Fusion+1.1.3&productId=50

Try and install that.

If that's still doesn't work I'd suggest one of the following (one paid for, one free):
1. buy the latest version of Fusion - It'll perform much better on your new hardware.
or
2. download the free trial of the latest version of fusion, fire up your VM, recover any files required. Install the free VirtualBox VM, install windows, move your files back into this fresh install

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.