Permanent photo storage in iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core i5 iPhone 4s iPad the 3rd
Hi. Trying to find out about permanent photo storage in iCloud if you purchase extra storage but it says nothing on the Apple site (strange?). All it say is " up to 1000 photos and deleted after 30 days".
I've done a bit of looking around and found nothing, is anyone doing this now (keeping all there photos for over 30 days? Seems well worth the $20, but can't find any solid info.
It's a bit odd, this seems like an obvious use for buying extra storage, and if you are paying for it why couldn't you store photos?

C

chas_m

You are confusing Photo Stream (a service that is part of iCloud) with iCloud itself. Two different things.

This is what MacWorld had to say on this question:

Will iCloud store and back up any file I want it to?

Not quite. iCloud will sync documents created with Apple’s apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, for example) as well as any third-party apps that are adapted to take advantage of the service. Presumably, iOS and Mac developers will eventually get on the iCloud bandwagon, but there will be a transition period where some apps will sync with iCloud and others won’t. That means users will need to be careful not to assume that all their files are automatically saved to iCloud, because only some apps will do the job.

So the answer to your question AT PRESENT is no, even if you buy more storage you cannot backup arbitrary files there. A future (or perhaps one already exists, but I haven't heard of it yet) Apple or third-party application may let you store your photos on your iCloud storage, since Apple has given developers the API to do stuff like this. Hopefully one will come along at some point.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you again. So strange you can't store any thing in there but I'm sure it's on the way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Storing photos can be done with Dropbox. You get 2 GB free storage (you can pay for more if you wish). Dropbox will offer to upload your photos whenever you attach your camera or SD card to your Mac. The photos will then be available to you on other devices that have Dropbox installed.

I currently have Dropbox installed on my iMac and 3rd generation iPad. I can share photos (and other files) between the two.

C

chas_m

2GB would be completely inadequate for most people, I would think. As loathe as I am to recommend it, Microsoft's SkyDrive gives users 7GB for free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Currently the 2GB that Dropbox gives is sufficient for my use, however, it's good to know that MS is "giving" away 7GB with SkyDrive. Like you, I'm a bit suspicious of anything that MS gives away for free. Sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. :)

Anyway, thanks chas.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, didn't know much about Dropbox going to look into it. If iCloud doesn't do it now I'm sure they will eventually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.