.doc v. .docx

Reaction score
I submit pieces involving text and geometrical diagrams and photographs to different journal editors. They must be free to edit the pieces, therefore a .pdf (alone) is not a suitable file type to send. I use a MacBook Pro, O.S.10.7.4. Am I right in thinking I have two choices:
1. to use iWorks' Pages and then export the document as a .doc,
2. to use Word version 14.2.2 (Word for Mac 2011), which produces a .docx, as opposed to a .doc, file?
If so, which should I use?

Thank you.

Paul Stephenson

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can save as a doc or docx in Word.

If it's imperative that the documents look the same across machines (it sounds like you're submitting drafts for a journal article so I imagine that this is the case), you might want to consider Word since you'll have a much lower risk of developing headaches. That's not to say that Pages isn't capable but it's possible that somethings might get "lost in translation."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd add that if you're supplying someone else with materials that they will continue to work on, matching your tools with theirs will ensure the smoothest exchange of information

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac is one of the best deals out there if you compare the cost to the Windows version.

Yes, the latest versions of the MS Office Suite on both sides create the DOCX. If you do work like I do, and work with people in the Windows Office world, "compatible" just doesn't cut it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And go into Word > Preferences > Save > and select the format you wish to have work saved in. .docx is the standard however you can select .doc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the latest versions of the MS Office Suite on both sides create the DOCX. If you do work like I do, and work with people in the Windows Office world, "compatible" just doesn't cut it.

+1 to what member Deckyon stated above. While other office suites or programs might have the capability to create DOC or DOCX documents, MS Office in the business, educational, and legal world is the de facto standard.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you very much mrplow, Deckyon, harryb2448, chscag.
There seems to be agreement on what I should do.

Paul Stephenson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.