iPad 2 vs. MacBook Air

Reaction score
Hey all! :D

My first post on this forum & I hope this is the right place for my question!

I am currently using an iMac at home for work/personal use, but am thinking of getting a 2nd mac product for practicality.

Either:
MacBook Air 11" 64GB
or
iPad 2 64GB WiFi & Cellular.

Here is what I will be using it for (apart from the normal social networking & browsing)
- Travelling. I plan to travel abroad next yr for an extended period of time, and would like to have something to take with me. Which would be more practical?
- Video calling with Skype/Oovoo etc
- Typing.. I love writing: long emails, blogs, and documenting my trip. I won't be doing hrs and hrs of typing.. maybe just an hr a day..
- Photo delimma - If i have a MacBook Air, I can easily upload pics from my DSLR to the computer for safer keeping right? But, on the other hand.. the iPad will offer better and easier view of these pics..

Other random info:
- I don't use an iPhone, and I have a kindle as well
- Not studying, but might when I return from the trip.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

(If there is a previous thread similar to mine, I apologise, just point me in the right direction)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
hi and welcome here :)

to be honest - I'd get a macbook air. i hate typing on the ipad. if you do not plan to get a keyboard typing on an ipad isn't much different from typing on your mobile phone so especially for that I'd get the macbook air.
still, you can do all the things you mentioned with an ipad as well. i really love my ipad but i use it e.g. when i´m at home for reading, or while travelling for my emails, reading ebooks and so on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.