Downgrading from Snow Leopard to run older Mac APP?

Reaction score
Is it possible to downgrade from snow leopard to leopard? Yes, I know I should get updated programs, but this is one (Canvas) is for work and no longer supported in Mac version. Work bought new Windows version and then the computer got stolen from a locked office due to former custodian keeping their key. I bought Canvas via download w/o cd (first and last time for that), so now I'd have to shell out $400 for another copy and higher education is not got much funding now. Now I have macbook pro8,2 with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 and while the Canvas software ran with Leopard, it will not run with Snow Leopard.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You can not downgrade to an earlier version the OS than the one that originally shipped with your Mac.
However, if I am understanding your situation correctly, you have access to a Windows version of the software. If that is true you could install Windows on your Mac (probably in a Virtual Machine would be best, using a package like VMWare Fusion) and run the Windows version of Canvas on your Mac.

EDIT: BTW I am moving your post to its own thread

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it possible to downgrade from snow leopard to leopard? Yes, I know I should get updated programs, but this is one (Canvas) is for work and no longer supported in Mac version. Work bought new Windows version and then the computer got stolen from a locked office due to former custodian keeping their key. I bought Canvas via download w/o cd (first and last time for that), so now I'd have to shell out $400 for another copy and higher education is not got much funding now. Now I have macbook pro8,2 with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 and while the Canvas software ran with Leopard, it will not run with Snow Leopard.

Nope can't do it. The core i7 computers are too new to be able to run OS 10.5 Leopard. The "oldest" OS version you can run on your MacBook Pro is OS 10.6.6.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.