Semi-Sad Day!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Semi-sad day today in the "Nick" household. I sold my 2009 8-core Mac Pro.:( Yes...I actually sold something!;) As some folks know...I'm usually the person doing the buying (mostly older stuff)!:)

It was nice having this "beast" around just for the fun of it...but honestly...I really wasn't making very good use of it's capabilities. There just aren't enough multi-core capable applications out there to take advantage of 8-cores (16 virtual cores). And the apps. that do take advantage of all the cores...are mostly those used by folks in the photo, graphics, and video industry (which I don't really use much).

I sold it to a local person who is an aspiring computer graphics professional for the animation, movies, or video game industry. They were currently using a dual-core MacBook Pro to render images...which was basically an over-the-night activity. But now with an 8-core Mac Pro...hopefully things will be processed much more quickly.

On the positive side...I have some cash (mad-money) to spend:)...and with all of the Apple hardware upgrade announcements expected next week...who knows what might be in store!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Condolences and congratulations combined . . . look forward to seeing what form your new acquistion takes. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you need some help spending some of that mad money I will be glad to lend a hand. Can't leave a fellow forum member in a bind. lol

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you need some help spending some of that mad money I will be glad to lend a hand. Can't leave a fellow forum member in a bind. lol

Now I know how lottery winners feel...ha ha!;)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Condolences and congratulations combined . . . look forward to seeing what form your new acquistion takes. ;)

Thanks man.:)

I'm already shopping e-Bay, Craig's List, and Apple.com...but I think that I have to "cool my jets" until at least Tuesday to see what the Apple announcements have in store.

- Nick

Reaction score
Wow! The Shock of the Who New! And ...buy something New. You made someone really happy and may change there life for the better. Im ready to get rid of more stuff and I feel the pain...but I picked up an HP laser printer at the dumpster this week...Will it ever stop!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but I picked up an HP laser printer at the dumpster this week...Will it ever stop!

Stay away from the dumpsters!!!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hahahahahaha! Best computer dumpster find I have ever gotten was a B&W G3 Tower! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Never ceases to amaze me what people will put in a dumpster and subsequently into a landfill. There's so many good ways to recycle computer equipment (some of them free) and too many people that would love to have it - but I digress...

Nick, I'll be excited to hear what you choose to replace the Mac Pro with. Sounds like next week will be like Christmas for Apple fans, considering the bevy of rumors out there.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been shopping e-Bay & Craig's List quite a bit the last few days. Usually for the best value...I like to purchase the previous generation used or refurbished right after new models are announced (best price/value/newness combination)

My main setup BEFORE selling the Mac Pro was...obviously the Mac Pro + a 2008 17" MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is running great...and HONESTLY...I don't REALLY need anything newer at this point. But that wouldn't be much fun!!!;)

For the $$$ I got for the Mac Pro...some options I was considering were:

- a newer 17" MacBook Pro (2010 or early 2011 model) + a used 27" Apple Cinema display.
- a 27" iMac (current version) or brand new version announced next week...if there are significant changes.
- a late 2011 17" MacBook Pro "quad-core" (current version)

If I got a newer 17" MBP...then of course I would have to sell my current 17" MBP...since I don't need two. Which also means the "fun" dealing with folks on Craig's List!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'd skip the Apple Cinema Display and go with the newer 17" MBP.

Apple makes a decent display, but they are out-of-this-world overpriced, even used. I realize they're IPS panels, but one can certainly find an equivalent display for a 1/3 of the price.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'd skip the Apple Cinema Display and go with the newer 17" MBP.

Apple makes a decent display, but they are out-of-this-world overpriced, even used. I realize they're IPS panels, but one can certainly find an equivalent display for a 1/3 of the price.

I totally know what you're saying (I always advise the same exact thing)...and I NEVER would have considered a 27" Apple Cinema display...but then I found a lightly used one for sale for about 67% ($675) of the cost of a new one ($999).

Then reading the spec's on the 27" Apple Cinema display...I found out that it has some neat features...such as:

- built in 49watt speakers
- built in mag-safe cord to charge a MacBook/MacBook Pro while using the display.
- built in iSight canera

But I would never pay $999 + tax for one.

I also don't NEED another external display (I have plenty laying around)...but you know how it is with Apple products...they always make something really cool that no one else makes!:)

Since I do have external displays (22" and 24")...a new or almost new 17 MBP makes more sense. I just hate to buy models that are almost new (or new)...since you pay a BIG premium for almost new stuff...and then the depreciation kicks in. I usually like to buy 2-3 year old stuff. Anything newer...and I think that I'm splurging!;)

But the newer 17" MBP's do have what I would like in a powerful laptop:

- quad-core i7 cpu
- lots of ram capability (16 gig)
- pretty darn good graphics (for a laptop or otherwise)
- benchmark scores that rival the current 27" iMac

Always a tough decision.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, is that the 27" Apple display with the Thunderbolt port?

Let us know what you end up with.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, is that the 27" Apple display with the Thunderbolt port?

Let us know what you end up with.

It's the 27" Apple Cinema display before the current model with the Thunderbolt port.

Apple doesn't seem to think that there is a difference though...since they're selling both models for the same price ($999 new or $849 refurbished).

Honestly...I REALLY don't need to get anything at this point. My 17" 2008 MBP + 24" external display totally do everything I need them to do.:)

But the $$$$ I got from selling the Mac Pro IS "computer money"...and so it should be spent (at some point)...on computer "goodies". It would be pretty boring if I just put that money in the bank...or bought more Apple stock!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
Condolences...)

I'm about to get into the boat you just jump out of. My eyes are set on a Mac Pro and Mac mini.

Mini will replace my Windows media center.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm about to get into the boat you just jump out of. My eyes are set on a Mac Pro and Mac mini.

Mini will replace my Windows media center.

Make sure that getting a Mac Pro is really what you need. I never would have gotten rid of it if I was able to fully utilize it abilities.

Believe me...it wasn't just me & the computing tasks I had...it's the fact that very few software applications are written to take advantage of all 8-cores (16 virtual cores) in a Mac Pro. And many of the apps. that are written to take advantage of multi-core computers...don't do a good job of it.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hahahahahaha! Best computer dumpster find I have ever gotten was a B&W G3 Tower! :D

So you're the guy that cleaned out my dumpster. :D

A few years ago I did processor, memory, and burner modes to a B&W G3. When I went to do the second burner upgrade something died. Shop was expecting it to be a logic board. Rather than do that I removed the hard drive, burner and ram before placing it in the dumpster. Left to run errands and when I came back it was gone.

Reaction score
Sir, my 27 " iMac is up for sale. $1500 shipped with upgrades (12 GB RAM). Latest model :)

May God bless.

Ed;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sir, my 27 " iMac is up for sale. $1500 shipped with upgrades (12 GB RAM). Latest model :)

May God bless.

Ed;D

All sales need to be confined to the B/S/T forum please... anything else is looked at as spam. I'll let this go for now, but please don't plug your sale throughout the normal discussion forums.

Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.