Finder using 110% CPU and freeze on startup

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I somehow broke osx. On phone now.

I was trying to delete about 20,000 picture files which were all Firefox cache crap.
Dragging to trash kinda went bad. Was moving to trash at a rate of 1 file per 20 seconds. I canceled and restarted then it was preparing to move to trash for an hour.
Com was frozen so I restarted.

Startup freeze + desktop icons don't load
Repeat 20 times
Managed to start in safe mode and open activity monitor.
Finder is using 110% CPU and if I force quit it starts again till it all freezes and I have to restart . I thought I'd let it do it's thing but now it's started. Desktop icons don't load. Everything is frozen .

I got exams and really need the con. Also done the command option p + r thing too.

Any help is appreciated thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where were you deleting things from? While this doesn't explain the Finder CPU usage, it might explain some of the other problems.

OP
P
Reaction score
Was off my external hard drive. Had used a file recovery program and all it had recovered was Firefox cache junk so was trying to delete them.
Never actually got to delete since it froze just unplugged the usb
Also am on lion with latest updates

OP
P
Reaction score
Computer still going. No desktop icons and fully frozen . Hmm I don't think anything is going to happen. Killing finder as a prOcess does nothing either Before its frozen

This is the wIrst time for this to happen. Desperately need the com for my exams ):
Whoever comes up with a fix is my hero

OP
P
Reaction score
Update: I think I've figured out the issue
In safe mode it lets me move mouse around a bit.
Each click takes about 5 minutes. No kidding.
There are 18,000 files on my desktop all under 1 so it looks like one.

If I somehow manage to delete them it might fix it.
But god**** I can't drag to highlight >.<

FIXED:
Deleted those files off desktop finally. It was slow pain.
All is good again

If a mod wants to delete this thread please do since I pretty much solved it myself and it feels like spam to me lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Glad you got it fixed . . . and no way we should delete. Valuable info and/or lessons learned here for others.
Thanks for contributing it; sorry for your pain and aggravation. ;)

FWIW: My very first post on this Forum (4 years ago) was a problem I ran into with my router setup. I ended up solving it myself after a lot of stress and aggravation

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.