Macbook Pro or iMac for Music Production

Reaction score
Hello all, i'm a 17 year old from Australia finally getting on board with switching from PC to a Mac and couldn't be more excited! I need it specifically for Music Production courses at my School & TAFE, and i'm just after some answers or advice with which Mac to get best suited to my needs. At the moment i'm swinging towards a 13' Macbook Pro, but the 21' iMac which is the exact same price is hard to turn away from. My main 2 questions is:

1) Are Macbook Pro's able to be hooked up to a desktop monitor? The portability to school and TAFE with the MBP will be great, but at home i'd much prefer to work on projects on a desktop. If that is possible i know for sure the MBP is for me.

2) Are music files able to be exported from Mac to Mac? Such projects as on GarageBand for example are they able to be exported from different Mac devices on say a USB? My TAFE has Mac computers, but it's hard during off days to get projects done without a Mac at home, especially doing vocals in a classroom with 15+ other students around. If they are able to exported then i could just purchase a much preffered iMac and take the files and load them onto my TAFE's Mac computer to submit and work on then back home etc etc.

This is my first post so please be kind, hopefully everything i said makes sense, all feedback will be much appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Yes, the MBP can be hooked to an external monitor, TV, or the very nice Apple Cinema Display. You can even use a MBP at home as a desktop computer by attaching an external keyboard and mouse. I used mine for several years in what is called "clamshell" mode. You can read how to do that from Apple. LINK

2. Sure. Music files, video, data, documents, and many other types of files can be transferred from Mac to Mac. There are various ways of doing it, some more efficient than others. For example: USB, ethernet, Dropbox, iCloud.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.