Documents App for iPad 2

Reaction score
I just bought a used iPad 2 (haven't received it yet). I'm a writer and on my MacBook Pro I use OpenOffice. I have Pages, but I find that OpenOffice is a better program, at least for me. I see that there is no OpenOffice app. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good app that will allow me to open and edit .doc files. It doesn't have to be free, thought a low price would be a bonus. I hesitate to spend money on an app not knowing if it will do what I need it to do. If it can't open and save .doc files, or if it messes up the entire format of my document, that just won't do.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iOS edition of Pages is $9.99 at the app store. It can open, edit, and create *.doc and *.docx files from MS Office. There is also "Open Word Processor" which is free. It too can open and edit *.doc and *.docx files.

OP
P
Reaction score
I thought about getting Pages, but when I save my OpenOffice documents I can't open them with Pages on my MacBook, so I assumed it would be the same on an iPad. They are saved as .doc. I even tried "open with" and it didn't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Open Word Processor sounds great, and I'll probably end up getting that. My only issue with that is that according to the reviews, you have to be connected to the internet or you can't use it. I'm not always in an area that has Wifi and I'm not going to be paying for 4g.

Thanks for the input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand. I have the "Open Word Processor" and I bought "Quick Office Pro HD" for $19.95 because I also need to open and edit Powerpoint files. I believe that unless you have a WiFi connection it's going to be difficult to gain access to all your documents. For example... using Dropbox or iCloud.

My third generation iPad is also equipped with 4G because we also go to places where WiFi is not available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.