Programming and coding for beginners

Reaction score
Ok so I am what you call a BEGINNER!

I had this idea about an app, it reflects my career. Now I want to try and make it real.

I dont know anything about coding, programming etc.

So please someone tell me where do I start, what is the first step.
I have tried to google but I found myself going around and around, not understanding words.
Please help, from the beginning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
There are a bunch of books and free resources available ( like codecademy.com) to help you start coding. That being said, it sounds like you just want the quickest way to build an app. I have used and recommend livecode by runrev because its a super user friendly mobile development platform that doesn't require any formal coding experience. Hope this helps

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Hey thanks Chemadian,

But really where do I start. Do I need a special programme or does this state in the books? I have tried to google all this, but I cant find out exactly the first place to start. Do you know what I mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
If you want to learn how to program i suggest buying some "how-to" books on your preferred coding language and get start practising in a text editor program ( there is one that comes pre-installed on macs or i use textwrangler, which is still free, but has a few more bells and whistles). Like i mentioned earlier codecademy.com is a website that teaches you the basics of coding, and it has a build in text editor right on the website.

Reaction score
Just to reiterate what Chemadian has advised, you need to decide on a programming language, also you need to decide if you want to target iOS portable devices, or just Mac desktop PC's.

The only real choices in my opinion, are the C++ or Objective-C languages, if desktop applications are your main focus, then either of the above languages are suitable, but if you want to target the iOS devices, then the Objective-C language will be the number one choice.

There are lots of online resources on both languages, but if Objective-C is your preference, then the book I have listed below is the best I have come across for beginners, its written by the most Knowledgable and upto date tutors on the subject, try not to run before you can walk, make sure you understand the basics, before you attempt a complex app project.

When you get going, if you need any coding help, then come back and see us, maybe we will be able to help you.

http://www.amazon.com/Objective-C-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321706285/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339188640&sr=1-3

Good luck.

Regards Mark

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi Mark thanks a lot, I will start with this straight away. And yes "walk before running!"

Reaction score
Well if you want to start from scratch you'll have to first decide which programming language would you like to put your time into. I'd recommend java is it not really a difficult one to begin with, it is a strongly typed language so you'll develop good coding practices and the best part is that you'll get to familiar with the world of object oriented programming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think they vstarted. This thread is six years old. See the date in the red border between threads?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.