Mountain Lion is the last straw.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmm, is mine actually that slow...or is it me looking for a reason to buy a new iPad? ;D

So if that's the case (Macbook), then why all the whining here? What did the edit entail?

On the edit can't say at this point till ML is released. Will after that if it still works on the final release.

I have actually seen iPads and iPhones IOS get slow on it's own and did a reinstall then used my backup to restore and it was much faster. My iPad seems just as fast as the day I bought it and it shipped with IOS4 something.

C

chas_m

My iPad 1 that I'm typing on is already a little slow with 5.0.1, lacks cameras, etc. Dont even know if it'll support iOS 6.

It won't.

But really, who cares? Honestly, how much longer will you have that iPad? Another year? Two?

Developers will still merrily be supporting apps on iOS 4 and 5 for quite some time to come. Probably longer than you'll have that iPad 1.

I still get updates -- UPDATES! -- for my original, five-year-old iPhone running 3.1.3 (the highest it can go). Most non-high-end apps still work with it, and of course all the apps I originally bought still work with it. As will your iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Your machine came with whatever OS was current at the time - that OS is no longer current, but your machine will run it happily for many years.

Technology moves on and it happens absolutely everywhere. Deal with it.

Exactly !!!!

Reaction score
Lion and Tiger and Snow Leopard, Oh my!

Have read many reviews of Lion that make me believe I don't want it, but alas, my
Macbook is running on Tiger 10.4.11 and I need to upgrade. Have ordered Snow Leopard to upgrade, but cant seem to find an external portable drive that's compatible in order to do a back up and then a clean install. Any ideas for a source for a reliable MacBook that's running Snow Leopard or an external portable drive that will work with Tiger.... I'm stumped!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, any USB external that will plug into a USB port will work with that Macbook. Tiger has nothing to do with that in any way!

What are the specs on your Macbook? Memory? CPU Speed?

Reaction score
First, any USB external that will plug into a USB port will work with that Macbook. Tiger has nothing to do with that in any way!

What are the specs on your Macbook? Memory? CPU Speed?

Thanks for your reply!
Here are the specs:
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as an OS, you do have a C2D CPU so you can run Lion if you wanted but with 2GB RAM, I would not. Will check the specs to see how much you can upgrade the RAM on that Macbook, but as it sits I would purchase 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Ok from my research the 2.1 is either a 2006 or early 2007. Both those will take 3GB RAM. You can put in 2 2GB modules but only 3GB will show up, or get a 3GB memory kit from OWC made for that machine.

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. It would be helpful to know if I could upgrade the RAM. since it is getting on in age ;-). I am actually trying to avoid Lion due to reviews of its quirks. I was even ready to think about possibly raiding my credit card and getting a refurb Macbook Pro, but when I found out I can't get it with Snow Leopard, that sealed the deal- I am going to do all I can to keep this reliable MacBook running for a while more.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dennis. It would be helpful to know if I could upgrade the RAM. since it is getting on in age ;-). I am actually trying to avoid Lion due to reviews of its quirks. I was even ready to think about possibly raiding my credit card and getting a refurb Macbook Pro, but when I found out I can't get it with Snow Leopard, that sealed the deal- I am going to do all I can to keep this reliable MacBook running for a while more.

Read my last post, I mentioned OWC. They have 3GB Ram kits for that machine which is the MAX ram it will work with. 10.6 Snow Leopard will run fine on that.

Reaction score
Thanks DTravis7. Why can I only get to 3 GB RAM from 2GB? I thought there were two RAM chips- I guess I don't understand the RAM configuration on this machine. . .

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks DTravis7. Why can I only get to 3 GB RAM from 2GB? I thought there were two RAM chips- I guess I don't understand the RAM configuration on this machine. . .

The Intel Chipset in that older Macbook only will recognize 3GB RAM. You can put (as I said earlier) Two 2GB sticks in but only 3GB will show up due to limitations in that chipset on the board.

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying. And thanks for all your help. It is truly a great relief to have such a good source of clear info after having an experience much like fumbling around (on the web) in the dark. Feel like I finally found a light switch!

Reaction score
Every other OS on the market has much more modest requirements and this move is clearly about money and not any major technical innovation.
Does anyone else on here feel the same way?

I find it kind of amusing that I feel the exact opposite. I'm a long time Windows user that is switching to Mac, and this is one of the driving forces for me. I love that Apple doesn't try to support old technology forever. It's only my opinion, but I feel that that is one of the biggest annoyances with Windows. They try to support every computer from the beginning of time all in the same OS. It means horrendous install times, due to having to install device support for so many hardware scenarios, crashes and instability because they couldn't possibly cover off every situation, and almost daily updates to keep everything in check.

I don't know about your experience, but I find that any PC older than about 3 years is generally useless at running the latest Windows OS. I know you said anything 10 years old will run it, albeit a little bit slower. I guess it's perception, because I fired up a friend's 10 year old pc a while ago and it only took 20 minutes to boot up XP. I'm assuming Win 7 would have been over half an hour, if it ever came up at all. To me, that's a bit worse than slow. Being able to run is a bit different than actually being useable.

OSX stays lean and mean, because they don't keep all the old legacy stuff in there. This allows them to dive into new technologies much quicker, as they don't have any "baggage" to deal with. I'm one of those guys that likes to be on the bleeding edge, so I want the latest, greatest and I don't want a bunch of junk in there that supports old systems that I no longer care about. I think it's the best solution. If you want to use your own hardware, you can, with the version of OS that supports it. If you want the latest technology with the latest OS frills, you can get that, too.

Here's something that I didn't see anyone mention. A pc is worth roughly $0 about 3 years after you buy it. Nobody will spend any decent cash on an obsolete pc. Now, from what I've seen, a 3 year old Mac is still worth something. I see them advertised all over the place at up to 2/3 of their original cost. Therefore, if you love upgrading, you should still be able to recover some of the cost of your previous mac to support the upgrade. Not a hope with a pc. I usually have trouble giving my old ones away. I used to keep them around as file servers or "experiment" machines or whatever, but the maintenance of multiple Windows machines, with expensive licensing, multiple anti-virus installations, etc., is too much of a headache.

The other thing I see as a bit of a myth is the concept of PCs being upgradeable. Many years ago, I lived by that concept. I always bought the most "upgradeable" PC I could. In 26 years I have "upgraded" once. When you get around to upgrading, the new cpu doesn't fit your mobo socket, or the ram is a different architecture, or the video card uses a new style of bus. The hardware vendors make sure it's impossible for you to just upgrade. Partly for profit, but also because research turns out new technologies they didn't know about. The only thing I've ever seen as upgradeable is the hard drive, and that's still an valid option for all systems, Mac or PC.

It's just my opinion, but to me it seems as if Microsoft wants to be able to say that their software runs on anything (regardless of how well it runs or if it's actually useable) and they want to capture the biggest market of people they can, even if some of their users end up irritated and aggravated by poor response and multiple issues. Apple seems to want their users to have a good experience and really enjoy the product. They tend to avoid trying to market situations where the user would have anything less than an enjoyable experience (slow response, incompatibilities, instability, etc.). You don't capture as big of a market, but you end up with a lot of happy, repeat customers.

C

chas_m

I am *laughing* at the people who are clinging like that dude in Titanic to an old piece of wood because they are so scared of the future.

Meanwhile, I'm getting my work done productively and enjoyably -- and will continue to do so going forward.

To those who've decided to get left behind: enjoy the increasing frustrations you will encounter as the years go by -- remember YOU decided to take that path ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I am *laughing* at the people who are clinging like that dude in Titanic to an old piece of wood because they are so scared of the future.

I'm pretty sure that guy lived.... 21.gif

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the person should throw out the Macbook into the river and pump out $2100 on a NON upgradeable appliance? Do remember that not EVERYONE has $2100 to spend every year or two!

I do remember a certain member here that hung onto a old Macbook with 3GB ram for a very long time! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
But on the flip side - when they put out a new round of Macs - the old round drops. I just got a refurbed MBA 11" - top of the line in July 2011 - for $1149. It is plenty of machine for most people. Whenever a new round of Apple anything comes along - the old round drops in price. Another case in point is the iPad 2 is still available - and for $400 new from Apple. $319 refurbed - $119 more than a new Kindle fire. One can see why the demand for Kindle Fire has dropped off.

The used market also drops in price as well. So you could still get an upgrade eligible machine for cheap once the new ones come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I just got a mid 2007 MacBook running lion quite nicely. I was and still am used to tiger,leopard and snow leopard. thought lion may have been a pain to get used to but so far it is pretty much the same as far as using it. my everyday laptop was a g4 ibook until it got stolen from the starbucks when i went to the bathroom for a minute, so I got the MacBook to replace it, only had the MacBook for 2 days, today being the third and so far love it.I was perfectly happy with my g4 iBook until I was forced to replace it. Only reason I didn't get another iBook was I got the MacBook for the same cost if not a little cheaper than another iBook on craigslist. need to replace the battery for it but still thats not a big issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.