• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

how soon after a new computer is released....

T

thoughtCoat

How soon after a new computer is released (say a powerbook) does Apple stop selling the older model on their website?

I am asking because I want to get a PB from Apple with the student discount. They may be releasing new ones in January and I'm not sure if I will be able to buy it before then and I do not want a new intel powerbook, just the kind they have now.

Reaction score
They go into the Sale/Refurb section until they are sold out. Students don't get a discount off of Sale/Refurb items.

Reaction score
I have no inside info here, but I don't think a January release of PBs will have Intel chips. My understanding was that the intels weren't going to be released until the summer. My guess would be that the PowerMac would be the first to get them.

I am of course, ready and willing to be corrected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i think you might want to wait on the powerbook, just because i have a hunch that the new powerbook MIGHT MIGHT just have an isight built in, but thats just what i think

OP
T

thoughtCoat

I don't care about it having a webcam, thanks for the tip though.

Question: After you buy an Apple computer can you buy Apple care for it anytime within a year after purchase?

Reaction score
Yep, it will be retroactive to the purchase date though. I bought AppleCare nine months after I bought my PB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.