download file problems

Reaction score
I accidentally dragged the download file off the dock but placed it back using the advice found here. Dragged from my home directory to the dock without a problem but since then any new downloads are only saved in the download home directory file.

How do I change this to file save the new files on the dock?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you drag the "Download" folder so that it's to the right of the dock separator? The download folder on the dock is actually an alias of the folder which is in your Finder sidebar. However, it won't work unless you drag it to the correct location on the dock.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes I did. I placed it where it was originally, to the right of the separator.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure you dragged the correct folder? If it as you say you dragged the download folder from the Finder sidebar to the correct location on the Dock, it has to work. As I mentioned above, the Dock folder is only an alias.

When you download a file with Safari, Chrome, FF, whatever, and you tell it to go to the download folder, it should appear in both places at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.