Mac/PC File access

Reaction score
Hello, I am using OS X version 10.7.4.
I create folders on my mac - Command N - and it creates folders that I can access on my network at work, however when other users try to open these folders, they can not. I do not have any special permissions set as far as I know, and do not know how to fix this problem. Also - as a side note, when I create folders through other programs (for example in photoshop when I save a file I can hit "create new file") and others can access those folders with out any problems.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I've googled and have found nothing and don't know where to look to solve this issue. HELP! :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It all depends on where those folders are created. When you create a folder, by default, it inherits permissions from it's parent folder.

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay, but if I create a file in a parent folder directly from finder, it is not accessible by other users on the network, however if I create a folder through a program (i.e. - photoshop) in that same parent folder, that folder is accessible to other users.

and if I am creating folders on a network drive, there is no parent folder - so what permissions could it be inheriting? And how do i solve this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Ok. I'm not clear about your setup (is the network drive managed by a server? Does it have access restrictions? Corporate environment? Are you the admin? Users - on your mac or on other macs/pcs? Etc )

But a good place to start is running repair permissions from disk utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.