newbie switcher query G5 powerbook

Reaction score
I've just got an ex work G5 Power MAC (dual core 2 Ghrz 5GB) but no wireless card fitted. I tried a generic USB reciever which has Mac on the pack and included a set of drivers for Mac O/S. I got to the mac recognising the hardwear but couldn't connect to the internet with it. I see Airport cards on Amazon but don't know if these will fit my model.
Also I understand there are graphics cards which might upgrade video playback?
Any numbers/addresses for second hand bits and pieces would also be useful. I'm in the UK
Stewart

Reaction score
Hi from the UK as well.

Really need to know the model number you have first of all. I take it that it is a G5 PowerMac, not PowerBook as they never existed, yes?

So from the "about this Mac' drop down in the top left apple logo please post those details including model. graphics card, and OS version.

We can help then

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Yes it is, of course a power mac. I was able to correct the message but not the subject.
model--power mac g5
model id---powermac 7.3
processor----powerpc g5 (2.2)
speed-- 2ghz
display--- geforce fx5200
O/S os X 10.5
The serial number is CK50204VQPR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not a Dual Core but a 2004 model Dual Processor. It takes an 802.11b/g Apple Airport Extreme Card. This is the card you need, note Amazon have used ones listed:-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000899ZB/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The ATI Radeon 9800 card may be the shot but as you can imagine gfx cards are getting a bit scarce. Have a look at eBay UK for both.

There are any number of Hong Kong dealers sell Airport Extreme cards and flashed (former PC) gfx cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.