firewall

Reaction score
this is a common entry in my firewall log:
Jun 5 20:53:59 Macintosh Firewall[101]: Stealth Mode connection attempt to TCP 192.168.0.10:49157 from 17.149.36.110:5223
TCP 192... belongs to my computer; I understand the 17...IP address is from an apple product...my question is, is this an apple device attempting to intrude into my system and is being rejected by my firewall? I have about 5 persistent IP addresses that do this. There is someone who has invaded my computer in the past, who has an iPhone with a very similiar address. Is there cause for concern? Or is the apple address simply my own somehow? I have a macbook pro, late 2011, version 10.7.4; software updates, mackeeper and macscan, firewall always up to date. I have a home wireless network with WEP protection, I do not use any proxies. I very much appreciate help with this question.

C

chas_m

MacKeeper: junk. Do a search on this forum.
MacScan: junk.
Firewall: does nothing to protect you in this case. Just turn it off. If you have file sharing turned off, there is nothing anyone can do to get into your computer beyond (maybe) the Public Folder unless they know your password.

Chances are you're seeing connections from your own MacScan or MacKeeper junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Port 5223 is used by the " Push Notification " mechanism, also used by Apple products.
Are you using MobileMe ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air
macbook Question

Firewall is something else I am sure you have the problem in your junkies of the device ... is it so?

OP
B
Reaction score
Firewall

I do not use mobile me. I have file sharing turned off. It has been brought to my attention that even macs can be hacked by using one's IP address, being able to then ascertain passwords. No one has access to my passwords, otherwise; I am the only user on my mac pro and it has never left my hands. However, the person who told me macs can be hacked by IP address, is the owner of the iphone I am concerned about. That person has received emails from me which of course contain my IP address. I don't know how to change my IP address. Thanks for feedback about MacKeeper and MacScan and Firewall. I'm not sure what to do now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a home wireless network with WEP protection, I do not use any proxies. I very much appreciate help with this question.

WEP protection is almost useless and can be cracked by even rank amateur hackers.

Always use a strong password along with WPA2 encryption for WiFi, keep file sharing off, and make sure that you also have a strong Admin password assigned to gain access to the machine. No one can hack your Mac through email unless you allow it. And you can't change your IP address.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you chscag. How does one change from WEP to WPA2 then? I have appreciated everyones help so much!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Changing the security on your connection is done on your router configuration page. What make and model of router do you have?

OP
B
Reaction score
I am connected through our local cable option, Time Warner Cable. I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not sure how to determine, or even which black box, is the router. When I go to my network configuration, I can access my router number (address?) is this helpful, or do I need to contact TWC? I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Thank you for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you know how to access your router from its address, that's fine. If you're in doubt about how to make the changes, contact your ISP (TWC) and have them walk you through it.

BTW, you can identify the modem from router by looking at which one of the boxes that the cable from the wall connects to. The cable connects to the modem, the router is connected to the output of the modem. Your devices are then connected to the outputs from the router.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you very much, chscag! I will contact TWC to get WPA2 protection and I appreciate the information about differentiating the modem from the router. This was very helpful. I have learned a great deal from help via this forum. I wish I would have done this sooner. Thank you again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.