BIG scare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
My iMac is situated on an old sewing desk. The desk is butted up agains a side of our kitchen counter. There is an over hang outwards the living room. The iMac was resting on top of a thick book about 5x8 or so..

Well my daughter was on the iMac and chilling and had her feet pushing against the desk which in turn had the iMac pushed off by the over hang...

My daughter is 5 and she's fine, it scared her mostly. She sorta caught the iMac as it fell off the desk onto her lap pretty much (not from a great distance) i told her that i could buy a million computers but she's the only one i will ever have, and that i wasn't mad.. but not to do that again :Smirk:.

It has a scuff or 2 that i can wipe off I'm sure, and there are a few nicks from my keyboard and trackpad.. but to my question..

Is there a way to test the screen? I thought i noticed some discoloration at the bottom of the screen (no apple care, in this scenario it really doesn't matter though) a very faint yellow tint. Im sure i could dl a pink background but i was wondering if there is a diagnostic i could run...

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
If anything it damaged the LED, you may have apple care left if it is less then a year.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try running this LCD testing app. See how the different colors look full screen and if they have any discoloration at the bottom of the screen.

LCDtest for Mac - CNET Download.com

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like the last version of OS X that can run that LCD test program is Tiger, at least according to the system requirements at the download link. Have you tried it with Leopard, SL, and Lion?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Snow Leopard for sure worked with the one I got. Will try lion and post back. I don't go by what they say as it's an old app and not been updated in ages.

Works in SL but not Lion as it needs Rosetta. Works in everything but Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks Dennis. I was going to download it and give it a run (not that I really need it) for fun. Since I'm running Lion, I won't bother.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Thanks for the help guys, ill give that a shot...

alas... no Apple Care

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.