flv to mov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I recently switched to a mbp and I have several video files in flv that I would like to transfer over to mov or other file type that will enable to me to show them with quicktime and/or edit them in iMovie. When I did a google search on the topic I was overloaded with the options available.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an app to help me convert one type to another? I don't want to spend a fortune trying several apps if I can avoid it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
Thanks for your input. After much reading/downloading/deleting I found a huge number of programs that will do this for free - BUT - if you use the free version it will put a watermark on your screen. For only a small fee - in some cases not so small - they will give you the full version. I looked on the mac OSX platform and on the windows platform and almost all of them had the same options.

I am happy to say with your help I found MPEG Streamclip for free and it does just what I needed. Granted, some of the other programs probably had more conversion options, but at least this one will literally do it for free.

A big thank you to all of you who add to this forum. It is a huge resource for any mac user.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've downloaded several of those programs too and I keep coming back to MPEG Streamclip. There may be some programs that offer more options but I think some of them may be playing games by listing different compression schemes/levels as though they are different formats.

MPEG Streamclip has a lot of this options listed in the Compression drop down when you are choosing the settings for exporting a file. Some of the formats have more options than others.

BTW if you encounter a file that Streamclip cannot handle you might give HandBrake a try.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.