Internet Connection Problems

Reaction score
When ever I type in my password for my Internet it says Connection Failed. I have gone to the apple store about this and asked them about it, but what they told me to do didn't help. I have now had this problem for a year. I have been connected to my internet by using an Ethernet cord. I am going to go to the apple store again this weekend to ask them again. But if anyone knows how to fix this problem that would be great!

-Protham

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
You shouldnt have to type a password to access Internet using an ethernet cable. What kind of connection do you have?

OP
P
Reaction score
No what I mean't to say was that I can't connect to my wi-fi internet because when ever I type in my password for it, it says connection failed. And that since I can't connect to my wi-fi I connect my computer to my Internet with an Ethernet cable. Another thing is this happens to every other mac that tries to connect to my Internet now. But every other electronic device can connect to my Internet, iPhones, PSP's, PS3, etc. I have 3 friends with macbook pros, and they also haven't been able to connect to my wi-fi internet. But my parents also have mac's but theirs are older then mine, and they can connect to my Internet. So I am trying to figure out of to fix this problem and get my macbook pro to connect to my wi-fi Internet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, let's get this moved to the correct forum - here.

Now, to your problem....

Which router are you using? And what type of encryption are you using to connect to it?

Some hints:

1. Make sure your encryption is at least set to WPA, preferably WPA2. Do not use WEP as it's unreliable and easily compromised.

2. Always broadcast your SSID (network name).

3. Use DHCP so that an IP address will be generated automatically.

Note: Your router may be too old and is not functioning correctly. Might be time to buy a new one. Since you didn't provide us with any other info about your Mac or the router or even which version of OS X you're using, my answers are generic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.