Macbook 2009 Blank Hard drive what os do i need

Reaction score
hi, ive gotten a 2009 macbook 13" with a blank hardrive. ive tried to install many different versions of OSX snow leopard. 10.5.6, 1.6 come up with a kernel error asking me to restart the macbook. 10.6.7 (which was the osx i was told was on there) loads but then after asking for the language it says cannot install this version of OSX on the computer.

I have no clue what i need to get this working, any help would be appreciated

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're probably going to be limited to 10.6+. Not sure where you got that disc from, but it sounds like you may have borrowed it. You need a full retail disc. The gray "system discs" are tailored to the machine they were sold with.

Apple can sell you replacement system discs if you give them a call, or you can just purchase the retail version of Snow Leopard (10.6) for $29.

It would be handy to have those system discs, because they come with diagnostics and the iLife suite, which is a big part of owning a Mac (IMO).

Good luck.

OP
H
Reaction score
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Build: 10A432 "Golden Master"
i got told this is the final retail by a friend who lent me this disc but it comes up, this computer needs to be restarted hold down the power button or press the restart button

OP
H
Reaction score
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Build: 10A432 "Golden Master"
i got told this is the final retail by a friend who lent me this disc but it comes up, this computer needs to be restarted hold down the power button or press the restart button

C

chas_m

That a pirated disc and as you've discovered it doesn't work.

For heaven's sake, your time is valuable isn't it? Go to an Apple dealer. Pay $30 for the retail disc of Snow Leopard. Install. Do all the updates recommended by Software Update. Be sure to run it over again until it has no more updates for you.

Next, go to the Mac App Store (which will now be on your computer). Set up an account and buy the portions of iLife that you think you will use (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband). $15 each.

There. You're done.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
why waste $30 if it wont even work though?

I guess you're at a bit of an impasse. You don't want to spend $30 to see if this MacBook works...but you won't know if the MacBook works if you don't spend the $30 for a genuine OS install disk.

How much did you pay for the 2009 MacBook? Isn't investing $30 for an OS install disk worth it?? According to the story so far...the only reason you've had troubles is because you're not using the proper OS install disk.

If you don't want to spend $30 for an OS install disk...I guess you have a nice doorstop or drink coaster!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
why waste $30 if it wont even work though?

Well, we don't permit discussion of illegal activity, including software piracy on this forum - so I'd say, $30 will buy you some darned good technical support at the very least ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Just pay for a good, safe and legal install and we will be more then happy to help you out. If it is a legal copy then it will install on the machine just fine.

C

chas_m

I have a 2007 MacBook and a 2009 MacBook Pro. I can guarantee that a retail Snow Leopard disk will work on your machine unless the optical drive is screwed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.