Why do DVDs start in the middle? Is it cause the computer remembers or the DVD?

Reaction score
So, if I take a DVD out and put it back in, it starts playing where I left off.

Why does this happen? is it my computer remembering? I dont quite get how that works and I would love to understand my computer better.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is probably the software remembering where you left off. For a movie DVD, for example, OS X launches a program called DVD Player. If you open its preferences and go to the "Previously Viewed" tab you can control whether that happens or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It isn't "probably", as the DVD itself can not be written to. Go into the preferences of the software you are using to watch the DVD and change them to not remember playback position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When I insert a dvd DVD Player gives me a message asking whether I want it to play the dvd from where I left it, or go back to the beginning. Do you not get this?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think it's been covered above; but you can - Go to Applications/DVD player without any disk inserted. From the Toolbar, Select Preferences. Then Click on "Previously Viewed". There you are presented with 4 options: "Beginning", "Last position played", "Default playback", and "Always ask".

These are self explanatory. Tick the appropriate box. (The "Last position played" is probably checked at the moment. Change it to what you want).

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.