Connecting 11" MacBook Air to 20" Cinema Display

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to Mac and bought an 11" MacBook Air a couple of months ago. I bought a 20" Cinema Flat Panel screen on eBay and its just arrived. There are three leads and I've found ports for two of them but not for the large DVI connection.

Is the Cinema display compatible with the MacBook Air 11"? If not, which larger display is? If it is compatible, what bits am I missing please?

I'm based in Baghdad and there is no Mac dealer here so it's a kind of guessing game for me!

Best, Jacky

e7cc6858.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The three cables are: Firewire 400, USB, and DVI. You will need to buy an Apple Mini Display Port adapter to DVI in order to use the monitor. Since you're in Iraq, you probably will need to order the Mini Display Port adapter from the US Apple store. You didn't mention if you can use the APO in NY or not being in Iraq?

Here is some info regarding the ports on your MBA: LINK

The 11" MBA is equipped with a Thunderbolt output port which is backward compatible with the Mini Display Port so the same adapter should work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for response

The three cables are: Firewire 400, USB, and DVI. You will need to buy an Apple Mini Display Port adapter to DVI in order to use the monitor. Since you're in Iraq, you probably will need to order the Mini Display Port adapter from the US Apple store. You didn't mention if you can use the APO in NY or not being in Iraq?

Here is some info regarding the ports on your MBA: LINK

The 11" MBA is equipped with a Thunderbolt output port which is backward compatible with the Mini Display Port so the same adapter should work.

Many thanks! I do have an APO address so will order the adaptor. Best, Jacky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.